Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Book Review: Warriors Arc 3: Power of Three by Erin Hunter



Another Warriors arc review I’m doing, I guess. These take ages to write, but I do enjoy doing them and usually like reading these books!

If you’ve caught up with my other Warriors reviews, you probably know that I really liked the first arc and wasn’t as fond of the second. I also have to say right here and now that I didn’t grow up with Power of Three the way I did The Prophecies Begin and the first part of The New Prophecy. I actually stopped reading Warriors books altogether except for older re-reads and the occasional Super Edition or eBook.

But when I decided to start doing book reviews I just kinda saw it as my duty to review all Warriors books, at least the non-graphic novel ones. So I got me the third arc, and here we finally go. Because I never read past the second arc, I’m going into this blindly, safe for some spoilers I came across from the Warriors community. I still largely don’t know where each book in the arc is going, so I’m looking forward to seeing how things go in Power of Three. Spoilers ahead as we dive right into the third Warriors arc by Erin Hunter, starting with book one: The Sight.

Book One: The Sight


Warriors: Power of Three #1: The Sight eBook door Erin Hunter ...In this book we follow the kits of Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw; Hollykit, Jaykit and Lionkit. The three kits repeatedly get into trouble, and this even results into Jaypaw getting seriously hurt at one point, partly due to the fact that he’s blind. Time goes on and the kits become apprentices. Jaypaw is very bitter, while Hollypaw wants to be the best cat she can be, first thinking this can be achieved by becoming a medicine cat, though she later switches to becoming a warrior apprentice. Jaypaw discovers that he has the power to walk and see in dreams, including those of other cats. Finally, after StarClan reveals that his destiny lies with becoming a medicine cat, Jaypaw grudgingly accepts his role as Leafpool’s apprentice. The book ends with a certain prophecy being revealed to the blind cat, the prophecy that tells of the power of the Three cats.

This book has to be one of the Warriors books I just couldn’t get into. It took me quite a while to get through, relatively speaking, and didn’t particularly excite me at any point.

I feel that this is due to the fact that there isn’t really a major plot going on. It’s just kinda things happening to these three siblings, and nothing really exciting happens in it. The closest thing we got to a climax was two apprentices, one of whom is downright unlikable and the other one being the blandest of the Three, being stuck underground for like a page or so. But there’s no major disaster or fight at the end.

Even the games the Clans decide to hold to get closer and less edgy with one another are barely shown and just kinda glanced over for a big part. This just made it rather uninteresting to sit through. This book to me also felt much longer than the average Warriors arc book, while it’s just normal length in reality. This can also be connected to the rather slow-feeling pacing.

The characters weren’t the most engaging, either. I liked Hollypaw’s dedication to the warrior code, and actually seeing a cat change from becoming a medicine cat apprentice to a warrior apprentice, but she didn’t interest me too much. Jaypaw, while making for a nice change with being a grump as a main character for once, still came off as downright unlikable at times, especially with how he treats his first mentor, Brightheart. Lionpaw is just not an interesting character in the slightest right here. I really hope he develops more as the story goes on. The old characters are still much the same. I was actually glad to see Graystripe return, so that’s a plus. Goldenflower unfortunately died between books, which does sadden me, because she was actually a pretty good character.

This book just really didn’t do much for me. I wish I could give it a higher score, but unfortunately I just can’t without lying.

Rating: 2/5

Book Two: Dark River



Maybe the next book will be better and have a more structured plot and more going on. Let’s check out the second book, Dark River.

Dark River/Gallery | Warriors Wiki | FandomIn this book, dark discoveries are made by the three young cats. Lionpaw gets training from Tigerstar and Hawkfrost and meets his secret friend from WindClan in a hidden tunnel network. Hollypaw discovers the secret of what’s wrong with RiverClan and what Lionpaw is hiding, and Jaypaw learns about the ancient cats that once roamed the area around the lake. A war may be happening soon, with stress levels rising in RiverClan, and both WindClan and ShadowClan being very battlehungry. It is now up to the Three to prevent the fight from breaking out.

A pretty solid installment. Not anything special by Warriors standards, but at least there’s a lot more stuff happening and it has a more coherent plot, and I commend it for that, especially after the slight mess that the previous book was story-wise.

The characters were all right. I quite grew to like Heatherpaw and Lionpaw in this book. Not only that, but Hollypaw grew on me, too. I’m still not a big fan of Jayfeather, though, and Breezepaw... yeah... no, thank you. Not a fan. The other characters are mostly just rather basic.

The pacing was good! Nothing went too fast or slow in this, so that’s much appreciated. I didn’t have a hard time staying engaged like with the first.

I really liked the concept of the tunnels and the ancient cats, though I do wonder how much they’ll add plot-wise. When I first heard of the concept of long-dead cats living in an underground tunnel system I was kinda hesitant to buy it, because it really made it seem like there was going to be some form of time travel involved, but it’s done rather cleverly, and I liked the way of how it was introduced in the prologue.

Another thing I could really appreciate was the relationship between Lionpaw and Heatherpaw. I thought it was written rather well by Warriors standards, and it was just really cute seeing these two have their unlawful friendship and special meeting place and made-up Clan even.

Overall, I’d say this was a pretty decent book in this series. 

Rating: 3/5


Book Three: Outcast


Now let’s continue our journey into Power of Three with the next book: Outcast.

Warriors: Power of Three #3: Outcast: Hunter, Erin: 9780062367105 ...In this book, the Tribe of Rushing Water has problems with another group of cats that has arrived at the mountain and is terrorizing them. A group of cats of various Clans travels back to the mountains to aid them in their struggles against these newcomers. Jaypaw, Hollypaw and Lionpaw are among the cats that travel there and hope to help them, while the prophecy is still looming over their heads.

This was another pretty decent book. So far I do really wonder what it contributes to the greater journey and overarching plot of the prophecy, but it was an enjoyable read. I’m mostly neutral on the Tribe, but they were written okay here. I thought them having a struggle against other cats for the first time in their lives was interesting, as well as Stoneteller lying to his cats.

The characters were all right, too. I’m very slowly but surely warming up to Jaypaw a bit, though I’m still kinda sick of his constant negative attitude and how he treated Brightheart. Hollypaw is okay, but I don’t see much depth to her personality other than being obsessed with the warrior code so far. Lionpaw I still like a bit, and Breezepaw is still my least favorite among the apprentices.

The pacing was all right, too. Nothing groundbreaking, but fast enough to keep me engaged.

I think this is another decent book in the series.

Rating: 3/5

Book Four: Eclipse


Now we go onto the next book: Eclipse.
Warriors: Power of Three #4: Eclipse eBook door Erin Hunter ... 
Hollypaw, Jaypaw and Lionpaw now all know of the prophecy and have to live with it. When a mysterious stranger named Sol visits the Clans, it has disastrous results for the others: ShadowClan denounces their faith in StarClan and stops living by the warrior code.

This was the first one in this arc that I felt I really enjoyed. I was continuously engaged by the story, the characters got better, shifting dynamics between them got interesting, and so far we’ve never actually seen a full Clan denounce the code and their faith, so that was definitely something new.

The characters were rather good. I actually really liked Lionpaw in this, as he gets more darker twists to his personality due to his training in the Dark Forest. Hollypaw still isn’t the most interesting, but it’s at least refreshing to see her greatest fear, a Clan without loyalty to the warrior code, come true. Finally, Jaypaw is still the same. I’m mostly neutral on him now. The rest I simply do not find me attaching myself to.

The pacing was all right, too. I liked this one better than all of the other Power of Three books so far.

Rating: 4/5

Book Five: Long Shadows


We continue in book five: Long Shadows.

In this book, the trio sees it as their duty to preserve the warrior code by restoring ShadowClan’s faith in their warrior ancestors. Not only that, Sol is also still around, and a cat within ThunderClan may just prove to have dark ambitions, which leads to the reveal of a well-kept secret.

Warriors: Power of Three #5: Long Shadows: Hunter, Erin ...I’ve seen many people say this book was simply written surrounding the fire scene and... honestly, I don’t think I disagree. It’s a good scene, don’t get me wrong, but the rest is just kinda... eh?

I really expected it to take a lot more to restore ShadowClan’s faith than a simple trick by the three. This would’ve been a really interesting conflict to see the long-term consequences of, but Blackstar goes back to believing after seeing the sort-of-fake sign by the three and that’s it. Then the story just kinda meanders around until we get to the famous fire scene. The rest of the plot is just kind of there.

The characters are just all right. I still find myself liking Lionblaze the most, but Jayfeather and Hollyleaf I just don’t care about. Jayfeather’s constant grumpiness is really annoying to read, and I really don’t like his attitude towards StarClan, and how he thinks he’s better than them. Hollyleaf’s constant warrior code obsession is just as obnoxious. We get some character development for Squirrelflight and Ashfur, which was sad, but... come on.

The story also kind of sends a bad message for adoption. In the Warriors universe, it seems that your parents are only the ones who biologically gave birth to you. Leafpool never mothered the three, yet Squirrelflight basically denounces them as her own when push comes to shove. Shouldn’t she instead try to defend her kits with her life since she claims to love them just as much as if she were their biological parent? Couldn’t she have pushed Ashfur into the fire? If it’s choosing between the life of an evil incel or the three you raised as if they were your own, I bloody know who I’d safe out of these two. Also, after the fire, nobody bothers to mention to anyone else that Ashfur turned into a near-murderer and tried not only to kill three kits, but also was involved with the plot to kill Firestar, who is the bloody Clan leader. And the way Squirrelflight just says “kill them then” about her kits is just... oof.

We also somehow get introduced to Cat Time Travel with Jaypaw now suddenly becoming a cat of the Ancients naming Jay’s Wing and being somewhat of a catalyst to the old lake cats leaving for the mountains. While I liked the world building we got with the ancient cats, it just felt kinda weird to have something like time travel in a Warriors book? We also still aren’t explained how the stick works, so we don’t know how this is even possible.

I didn’t like this one quite as much as the last. I’ll give this one just barely three out of five stars. Just… eh, I get that they wanted this to be the big bomb-dropping book and all, but the first half of it was rather boring until we finally got to the big moment and later Ashfur’s murder. 

Rating: 3/5

Book Six: Sunrise


Let’s round this arc up with the final installment: Sunrise.

Now that the three know of Squirrelflight’s secret and Ashfur is dead, they are dead-set on finding out who their real parents are, while some of the Clan also go looking for Sol to have him answer for what they presume he did to Ashfur. Upon finding out who their biological parents are, Hollyleaf goes into a downwards spiral that ends up having consequences for all of ThunderClan.

bol.com | Warriors: Power of Three #6: Sunrise (ebook), Erin ...This was just a painfully boring book, maybe until the final part or so. There’s no real overarching plot or main conflict. We still don’t know what the prophecy and the powers of the three are even for. If you look at the earlier arcs, they at least had a main conflict. For arc 1 it was facing Tigerstar and his henchcats. For arc 2 it was fleeing the forest and safely settling in the new territories. For this one there isn’t really one? Sol just kinda vanishes, so there’s no cool payoff to his conflict. ShadowClan’s lack of faith in StarClan only lasted like one book in length. We only have the three finding out who their parents are, which isn’t really something that interesting? Book five had a more intriguing and impactful climax than this one, which isn’t good for a final book in an arc.

It also drags painfully long which makes it awfully boring. It honestly feels like, with a good rewrite, the main beats of this story could’ve been condensed into three or four books, and the constant drag of the plot would not feel as prevalent.

The main characters, like stated before, are simply not something I care about, aside from Lionblaze. Jayfeather is as obnoxious as ever, and Hollyleaf went from an annoying character to a murderer who not only ruined everything for herself but had to drag everyone involved down with her as well. I wasn't even sad at her death. 

And to make things worse, it ends with a cliffhanger. Like I said before, the prophecy and powers don’t really come into play here yet, so I presume they’ve saved that for Omen of the Stars. What a disappointment.

This was without any doubt one of my least favorite Warriors books I’ve ever read. I’m honestly this close to giving it only one star. Only two out of five for me.

Rating: 2/5

Final Thoughts


So, overall, this was a bad arc. I’d say it’s maybe even slightly worse than The New Prophecy, which already had a rather low score. However, whereas that one has a rather strong second half, this one just felt mostly weak throughout all of it. I really recommend you skip this one. Sorry for the grumpy review, guys, I just expected more from the Erins. I'm not expecting any masterpiece writing, but at least writing that's consistent and knows where it's going, which I have the feeling they didn't over here. Let's hope that Omen of the Stars is better than whatever this was, shall we?


No comments:

Post a Comment