Friday, July 22, 2022

Book Review: The Flaming Queen by F.J. Thornburg (The Tales from Veynekan #1)

 

A fantasy xenofiction I have been meaning to get to for a while. Spoilers ahead!

In the realm of Veynekan, where beasts such as dragons and hippogryphs reign supreme, the leader of a hippogryph herd named Obsidian takes in an abandoned dragon egg as her own. He hatches and she loves her son very much, but trouble soon starts brewing when a mysterious dragon starts attacking the herd in hopes of obtaining the hatchling, now named Ben. Left with no other choice, Obsidian and Ben leave their home behind in hopes of escaping the dragon's wrath.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It has pretty much all the tropes I love. From the really wholesome found family of Obsidian's herd to the mysteries to the interesting beast societies to the great world-building, this book has it all.

It's not perfect, however. I did spot several typos in this book, so an extra revision before publishing was probably needed. However, this doesn't impact my rating too much as it's an indie and I'm not too harsh on typos in indies.

My other criticism is that I didn't vibe too much with some of the characters. The main ones featured are great. I love Obsidian, Ben, Sunflower, Komodo and Flossy, but outside of them I didn't feel myself getting too invested in any of the others. I did really like Komeetta as an antagonist/villain, though!

But I really don't have any other criticisms here. I genuinely really enjoyed reading it and it's just right up my alley. I wish I had more to say, but it's overall just super solid, and as far as I know this is the author's debut novel, so that's very impressive.

I do absolutely recommend one reads this book, especially if they're fans of fantasy/xenofiction stories like I am. There is a lot of potential for many stories in this fantastical realm, so I look forward to seeing whatever adventures follow for Obsidian and Ben!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment