Friday, December 16, 2022

Book Review: Nowhere by Tamara Geraeds

 

 Note: The title of this book has been translated into English by me for the reading comprehension of this blog's viewers as the book itself isn't available in English (yet). The original title reads Nergens.

This is actually the second book I've read & reviewed this year about people ending up in an alternate dimension called Nowhere where extinct animals live. And they're not even connected. Just thought it was funny I came across a similar concept twice in such a short amount of time. Ah well, spoilers ahead.

Two teenage girls each facing their own troubles named Audrey and Natalie end up in the realm of Nowhere, where all people of Earth go that feel that they have nowhere left to go. Here, they learn about the rules of the world and how they can choose to either stay forever in Nowhere, away from their real-life worries, or find a way to face them and go back to the real world to solve their issues. Audrey and Natalie each decide to do the latter, however it proves rather difficult.

Overall this was a decent and quick read, however it didn't do it for me particularly. I felt the story was a bit rushed and I would've liked to explore more of Nowhere before our characters faced their problems and returned to Earth. That plot is fine and all, but I really just liked spending time in Nowhere. It was a pretty neat-looking place full of extinct animals and nature, where the rules of reality are bent a little and things such as teleportation are possible. It was a neat realm and despite it being the title of the book it I felt that the plot revolved more so about our main characters and their struggles.

Which is fine, mind you, but I wasn't particularly enthralled by this cast. They felt relatively flat and I had a hard time caring for them, so because of that I also didn't care much about their struggles. Sure, it sucks what they each struggle with (Audrey with an abusive father, Natalie needing to find her sister who ran away) but since the characters were rather boring and felt somewhat flat I wasn't that invested. Honestly, the only thing character-wise I kind of liked was the relationship between Natalie and her friend Scott. They started off on not-so-good terms but they grew closer and that was kind of nice.

But overall I wasn't the biggest fan of this book because of how fast it moved and how relatively little we got to explore of Nowhere. And of course the characters didn't do it for me personally. But that said, it was still an interesting book with a neat concept and a cool ending. I just wish I vibed a little more with it.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment