Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Book Review: Unholy War by David Hair (Moontide Quartet #3)

 


I've done the first two, and now it's time to get to the third. This is Unholy War by David Hair. I recommend that only people aged 18 and up read this review (and by extension this book). Spoilers ahead.

The search for the Scytale by various characters continues, and Alaron is now tasked with keeping both it and Ramita safe. Cym gets captured by a bunch of shapeshifters, Cera disappears and Elena and Kazim are still on the hunt for Gyle.

This was so far probably my least favorite out of the series. I enjoyed reading it, don't get me wrong, but it definitely had the most working against it. First things first, yes, the flaws from the previous two books were still present here. Expect plenty of slurs and the like.

What also turned me off from this book was the amount of sex scenes. I skimmed past those, obviously, but just the fact that they're there and often between problematic characters (characters that are way too old for others, characters that murdered character B's parents, etc.) just made it very unreadable. There's also a rather graphic abortion scene near the end. So yeah, that wasn't a very pleasant part of reading.

The storylines I was also less invested in. I still don't care in the slightest for Ramon's plotline, but I now also had to deal with Cym's plotline, which, while more interesting, still felt boring after a while. Really, the only ones that made me keep going were the ones of Alaron/Ramita and Kazim/Elena. Both of these characters have good chemistry and I just really like them and their plotlines. I just hope things get more interesting by the last book.

The worldbuilding was still the same, and not many new discoveries were made. So I can't really praise the book for adding more to that when it barely did. 

Overall, this was probably just an okay installment in the quartet. I'll probably still check out book 4, but not now. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment