Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Book Review: The Silent Thaw by Erin Hunter (Warriors: The Broken Code #2)

Book one of this arc was very good. Let's see how book two goes, shall we? Spoilers ahead.


The truth behind Bramblestar's weird behavior is revealed to Rootpaw: it actually isn't the real Bramblestar at all, but rather an imposter that took over his body after he died of frostbite, while the real Bramblestar is now trapped between worlds as a ghost. Shadowpaw starts to doubt his prophecies about the codebreakers, and Bristlefrost is doing her best to prove to the fake Brambleclaw that she's on his side, all the while the imposter is being more and more adamant on punishing the breakers of the warrior code. Will things ever be the same in the Clans again?

This is honestly my favorite Warriors book I've read in a long time. Lost Stars already had me really engaged and I enjoyed said book a lot, but The Silent Thaw took things to a whole new level. I think it's a great arc so far, with amazing main characters and a very interesting conflict. 

It also has quite a few things that are "new" to the series. I don't think we've ever been this long without StarClan interfering in some way, and now they just seem to have altogether vanished. We also never had a cat possess another body and a ghost of a semi-dead cat trapped between StarClan and the living world before. It just feels really refreshing to have all these new elements in the story, rather than the same old "we fight one another over borders, rogues and StarClan prophecies" stuff. 

I also like how ShadowClan is actually portrayed as one of the good guys over here. They didn't always make the right decisions in the past, but this is the first time (I think) they've had a consistent POV in an arc. Now all that's left is a RiverClan POV, which I hope we get in A Starless Clan

The mysteries are great in this arc, and I just think that the execution is very well done. I legit don't have any complaints about this book, which is rare for a Warriors installment. And once more it ends with a banger of an ending, with Shadowsight being possibly dead. 

This was just a great installment in this arc. I'll see you in my review of Veil of Shadows, I hope!

Rating: 5/5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment