Friday, August 13, 2021

Book Review: The Voice of the Mists by Henri Loevenbruck (Gallica #2)

 


Note: The title of this book and has been translated into English by me for the reading comprehension of this blog's viewers. The original title reads La Voix des Brumes from the Gallica trilogy.

Book two of Gallica! Book one was surprisingly good after the only so-and-so first trilogy. Will book two continue improving? Let's see. Spoilers ahead.

While political tensions in Gallica are rising, Bohem and his friends must find a way to save the Mists from extinction by finding a gate to the world of the Sidh. Time is running short, and all the while, Lailoken is still lurking and threatening him.

Plot-wise, I think I liked this one the most out of any Loevenbruck book I've read. I liked the idea of rescuing the last few mythical creatures there are, especially with the political conflict going on and the ticking clock. Execution-wise, it wasn't as good as the first book, but I still enjoyed it a whole lot.

This book definitely establishes Bohem a bit more as a protagonist. We're really seeing the lenghts he's willing to go to do what is right, and we also are shown that he has very much the same philosophy as his mother when it comes to killing others; pacifism and finding out another way. 

The whole political conflict wasn't really my point of interest anymore in this book. It was fine in the first book, but this book started losing me again with all of the politics and religious goings-ons. The quest I was interested in was saving the last Mists, not all this political and religious blah. It's mildly interesting, but I very much preferred our main plot.

We are also introduced to one of my new favorite characters in this book: Loeva, a young thief who basically becomes Bohem's new found family. They pretty much instantly connected, which I think I was sweet. It was also sweet how Loeva would comfort him after his first adopted sister, whom he thought dead, actually dies. 

This is definitely still a pretty good book, but I liked the execution of the first book in the trilogy a bit more. Still, not bad though!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment