Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Book Review: Veil of Shadows by Erin Hunter (Warriors: The Broken Code #3)

 


Wooooo, we're halfway there. I honestly can't believe how great this arc has been so far. That said, things can still change. I really liked the first part of A Vision of Shadows, but the last books kind of lost me. I sincerely hope that doesn't occur with The Broken Code, since so far this is shaping up to be my second favorite or even favorite arc.

Since I don't have the rest of this arc yet and am still waiting for Graystripe's Vow to be published in paperback before continuing getting the other books, it may be a while until my next review of The Broken Code. Please keep that in mind.

So let's take a look at the midway point of this arc. Spoilers ahead.


Bramblestar's impostor is enacting his devious plans by causing havoc among all the Clans, leading to mass-exile of all cats that are deemed "codebreakers" by either StarClan or leaders themselves. The Clans are divided more than ever, and it looks like, if things continue the way they are now, there may not even be any Clans left in the future due to how many cats are being cast out and how divided everyone is getting. Will Rootspring, Bristlefrost and Shadowsight be able to put a stop to it?

Another book in this series that's just so strong. I think I'd deem this one my second-favorite in this arc so far, just behind The Silent Thaw.

I've said this in my other reviews, but I just like how "new" this arc feels. It's still the same old setting and Clans, but there's so much new things happening, with the Clans almost falling apart all because of Shadowsight's fake prophecies by the impostor and of course fake-Bramblestar himself. It also changes things that we have a protagonist who can see ghosts now. Heck, one of our leads actually becomes a ghost for a large amount of this book, also something unique. 

Luckily things do seem to be getting ever-so-slightly better for the Clans by the end of this book, but not before a whole lot of darkness goes down. Shadowsight almost dies, multiple cats die in an attempt to kill fake-Bramblestar, the real Bramblestar's ghost may be gone forever and the Clans are more divided than before. But at the same time, the imposter does seem to be (at least temporarily) defeated by the end of this book. 

Since there's three books in this arc left, we can count on the fact that it's very likely him that'll be causing more trouble in these last few, but it's nice that we end with an at least very slightly more positive outlook after all the dark shit that went down in the arc so far. 

We also end with Squirrelflight seemingly realizing who the impostor is. Unfortunately, due to people on Twitter not properly marking their spoilers, I already know who, but even despite that I still immensely just enjoy this arc. I won't be mentioning it here, though, in case you haven't been caught up to speed yet.

Overall this is just another very good book in a so-far great arc. I look forward to continuing whenever I pick up the next book. I know it's probably silly to wait, but I want to get these books (minus the comics) in publishing order, and Graystripe's Vow comes before Darkness Within. And I'm really, really adamant about getting all the paperback editions of the Super Editions (consistency and all that), so it'll have to wait. 

Sorry for the break in reviewing these books, but I hope you've been enjoying my reviews of this arc so far! Let's hope I won't be spoiled on more than the impostor's identity, shall we?

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment