Friday, May 6, 2022

Book Review: The Dog and His Master by Josef H. Reichholf


Note: The title of this book has been translated into English by me for the reading comprehension of this blog's viewers as the book itself isn't available in English (yet).

More non-fiction, this time about dogs and their evolution! Let's take a look.
In The Dog and His Master, Reichholf takes a look at the evolution of dogs, and how their domestication possibly happened. He explores several theories of how this could've happened. In later parts of the book we are given some anecdotes of the author of his own past dog and experiences with the animal, and in the final part we take a brief look at the domestication of cats and how it compares to what we now know of the domestication of dogs.

So normally I read a lot of wolf non-fiction. This somewhat qualities if you ask me? It's definitely wolf-adjacent, with it dealing with the domestication of dogs and all.

I really liked this book. The domestication process has always interested me, whether it be about dogs or cats (or even foxes, see my review of How to Tame a Fox), so to see it explored this thoroughly was a treat. We don't just get information about how our dogs possibly were domesticated, but also a lot of context surrounding the human species at the time, and how they and the back-then Pleistocene wolves eventually became nowadays Homo sapiens and their pet dogs.

The personal anecdotes of the author surrounding his own dog held my attention a little less, but it was still engaging overall to read. And the comparison to cats was also quite intriguing, since they're both our beloved pets, but there is a large gap between their when their respective domestications took place.

Overall a really good book and I do hope it gets translated into more languages. I should maybe read more on this subject since I'm quite passionate about it.

Rating: 4/5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment