Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Book Review: Beautiful Owls by Marianne Taylor

Can't say I've read a lot of books about owls, but they do speak to me from time to time. Here's a non-fiction I picked up about them.

Living up to the title, the book showcases a wide array of beautifully photographed owl species, combined with some basic information about each featured species.

Overall a good book, and you'll definitely get what the title promised. The photos are beautiful, detailed and clearly show off what each unique species looks like. The information about each species is also welcome and I'm super happy that they featured as many different owl species as possible. I don't know a lot about owls aside from the basics, so this was a good way for me to form an image of some of the species I've read about in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books, but not seen.

Where I do have a "flaw" is that I wish there was just a little more information on each featured species. We do get some information on each right now, but it's very bare bones, usually just limited to what they look like, what they sound like, how big they get and where they live. I'd have liked just a tad more depth. What makes each species unique? What do they hunt? How do they raise their young? What is their behavior like? I'm sure there's a lot more facts about owls to be given other than just the bare bones. I just hoped for a little bit more substance in the information we were given.

But that said, the book doesn't fail to deliver it's beautiful pictures and I'm glad there is still some information, even if it's not much. Pick this one up if you like owls, of course!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment