Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Book Review: Conversion by S.T. Campitelli (The Fall #1)

Conversion (The Fall #1) by S.T. Campitelli


It's been a while since I tried reading a dystopian. I haven't read many books in this genre so far, but I really did enjoy some of these books. So will the first book of The Fall sell me on the series? Let's see. Minor spoilers ahead.

Taking place in Australia sometime after "The Fall", where an infestation of sick, zombie-like people called jacks took over, Conversion details how a group of people leaves behind the safe zone of Kulin in order to visit a supermall that hides vital supplies for continued survival of the people, as well looks for a person who may be able to reverse the jack-effect. 

I'm going to be blatant here, I did not care for this book. My main gripe was the characters. I just couldn't get into any of them. I don't even really recall any of the names about a week after finishing it. I didn't care for the characters, and therefore didn't care for the story. I guess the Headhunter was somewhat interesting, but that's really where it stopped. 

The world Campitelli built I will applaud, as it's interesting, though not massively new or inventive by the standards of the zombie dystopians I've read so far.

The bilingual character also constantly switching between Japanese and English was really distracting. I know plenty of multilingual people, including myself, and literally none of them do this. It didn't feel realistic and just unnecessary. A word here and there of course would've been possible, but literally every single page they're on there's multiple instances of them doing this.

I honestly almost DNF'ed this book after a hundred or so pages. I finished it, but barely. Even if I like the world building, it didn't have anything else going for it that made me want to keep going.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment