Thursday, April 8, 2021

Book Review: Deserter by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire Winglets #3)

 


Another Wings of Fire Winglet for today. We're almost done with these, since it doesn't seem like a fifth will be made right now. This one focuses on Six-Claws. Spoilers ahead.

Six-Claws and his friend Dune are soldiers in Princess Burn's army, with the former even making it to the position of general. However, Six-Claws starts to doubt whether or not he's fighting for a noble cause more and more as time goes on. When Dune ends up terribly injured and Burn refuses to let him properly recover, Six-Claws finally decides to venture to the Scorpion Den in hopes of building a new life over there.

Another novella I didn't particularly like. Why is that? Well, first of all: Six-Claws himself. I don't think he's an interesting character and this book didn't change my mind on that, same as with Prisoners. I did like the brief look we got into the royal family members of the Sand Kingdom that weren't shown a lot in the other books, and Dune, of course, but the other characters felt pretty flat, too. 

I think I honestly would've preferred if this novel had Dune's POV instead. He always interested me much more, main arc books included. He also gets the biggest personality shift as he starts out cheerful and innocent but by the time of The Dragonet Prophecy he's constantly grouchy and angry. I just think it would've left way more of an impact if we experienced this story from his side. Six-Claws could still be there, just not as the main character.

When Kindle showed up I also expected to see some kind of relationship develop between the two, seeing how they end up as husband and wife, but she was barely even there, only showing up at the last moment to carry Dune to the Scorpion Den. 

So, yeah, I was unfortunately left disappointed by this Winglet. It's still decent, but I just know Tui is capable of so much stronger character-writing.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment