Monday, April 12, 2021

Book Review: Back to God's Country by James Oliver Curwood

 


I originally didn't intend to review this story as I don't have fond memories of it, but since it's in the Curwood omnibus I own I might as well. This is the short story originally published as Wapi the Walrus, later renamed Back to God's Country. Spoilers ahead.

In the cold north, a woman named Dolores comes across all kinds of perils. The solution to all her problems may just turn out to be the abused dog she befriended earlier.

Out of all the Curwood stories I've read, this is by far my least favorite. And, no, it's not just because it's not a xenofiction. 

First of all, the name change from Wapi to God's Country was very aptly done, as the dog is barely even in the story. He really feels more like an afterthought and like a solution for the problems. That said, I wouldn't be able to recall what kind of perils happened in this book. 

There were quite a few characters, none of which I cared for or could even distinguish well except for Dolores and the dog. The characters were also way too bland to get any possible interest for them across, and the story ended before they got even remotely interesting. 

In the past I gave this story one star, but I do think it's not horrible. I just genuinely don't care for any character or the events going on. Definitely the weakest one I read out of all the Curwood stories.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment