Saturday, April 10, 2021

Book Review: Runaway by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire Winglets #4)

It's time to take a look at the currently last of the Winglets! So far these have been a mixed bag, so I wonder how the last one will preform for me! Spoilers ahead!


After falling helplessly in love with the NightWing Foeslayer, Prince Arctic of the IceWings must make a difficult choice: loyalty to his family or loyalty to the one he loves.

This one I'm glad to say is great, possibly better than Assassin even! The first thing that makes it so great is the characters; I absolutely ate these POVs up and loved seeing these dragons in action. Arctic goes through the most significant development. You see what caused him to be so aggressive and distant in Darkstalker, and, yes, I do honestly understand why he is like this now. That doesn't excuse him being an abusive piece of garbage, of course, but I really wondered what made him change so much between the prologue in Darkstalker and the main story section. Seeing him use his magic rashly and seeing the consequences of it just really hits hard.

Foeslayer was also great, and we even got to meet her (very obnoxious) mother. Then there's Snowfox and Snowflake. I did not expect these two to be so great, but I just genuinely liked their connection. I'm not usually for liking villainous LGBT+ couples, usually I just don't like seeing them represented like this, but I'll make an exception for Fox and Flake because they worked so well together and honestly I did root for the latter after she got cast aside by Arctic. 

The story was short, yet well-paced and it perfectly filled in the holes Darkstalker possibly could've had. I think I might even recommend first reading the prologue of said book, then this novella, and then the main portion of the story. It just works really well together.

I'm glad that the so far last Winglet is such a strong one. I think I can safely crown this one my favorite out of the four! 

Rating: 4/5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment