Monday, May 17, 2021

Book Review: Crowfeather's Trial by Erin Hunter (Warriors Super Edition #11)

 


Crowfeather is not a character I'm particularly fond of. So how well I'll like this Super Edition may vary. Either way, let's have a look! Spoilers ahead.

Crowfeather keeps having trouble with his former mate Nightcloud and son Breezepelt, but when a plague of stoats takes over the tunnels and attacking WindClan, he'll have to put his differences with them aside in order to succeed.

So you know how I said I didn't like Crowfeather? Yeah, this book pretty much changed that. His character feels really rounded and I actually liked his snarkiness in this one. He doesn't feel too mean spirited, yet still in character. This book also changed my mind on Breezepelts character... to an extent.

See, Breezepelt up until this book had been written consistently as an irredeemable vengeful cat who willingly pledged himself to the Dark Forest. However, in this book, they somewhat retconned that old character and made him a more nuanced character that only acted like this because he felt bad due to the disapproval of his father and did indeed want the right thing, even while siding with the Dark Forest. While for a consistent amount of righting this isn't a good thing, However, I honestly consider it an improvement to have him go from a boring one-note villain to a deeper character that does somewhat redeem himself by the end. I can stand some continuity being broken if it is for the sake of things being better.

The threat of the stoats is also one we hadn't seen before, and I personally thought it was interesting. I also liked how Crowfeather actually got banished due to part of this book. Onestar didn't pull any punches. And I enjoyed how he used his banishment-time to actively look for Nightcloud and seek solutions to make things better rather than selflessly running off like he'd done previously with Leafpool.

I also liked how Jayfeather doesn't forgive Crowfeather for his treatment of him and his siblings. Lionblaze does, which feels fitting for his character, but it honestly would've been a cop-out that'd go against his character if Jayfeather had done the same. So I definitely appreciate that. 

Definitely one of my more favored Super Editions! I'd recommend it. 

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment