Friday, April 22, 2022

Book Review: Ascendant's Rite by David Hair (Moontide Quartet #4)


Originally didn't plan on finishing this series, but since I got so far I might as well, this being the last book and all. Spoilers ahead.

The Moontide is slowly coming to an end. Enemies Alaron and Malevorn still seek the Scytale of Corineus. Elena tries to protect Cera and Javon against Gurvon Gyle and his forces. Everything seems to be building up to a large climax.

It's a decent book. Not good, not bad. Decent. I liked it better than the last installment, too. However, it is clear to me by now that I'm really fatigued by this series. I didn't care for the story, and I didn't care for a lot of the characters and plot threats. Which makes reading this book (700+ pages) quite a chore. 

The conflict with Malevorn didn't come to a very thrilling close in my opinion, which is a shame since it was such a prominent conflict and one of the only plotlines I still cared about. Alaron and Ramita's parts were still my favorites of the book, and theirs were often dealing with Malevorn's antics. 

I also liked some of the Elena/Cera/Kazim chapters. Keyword being some. But after those characters, that's really where my interest in the book completely waned. The conflict has been going on for so long now, with each book in this series being huge. This, combined with me not caring for a lot of the characters/plotlines anymore, just made it feel like it dragged in those 700+ pages.

I couldn't bring myself to care for a lot of the book anymore. I did try, I didn't go in reading this with negative intentions, I really didn't. But it's just too long a book with too few characters/plots I care about to keep me consistently hooked. 

Also, albeit brief, there's some ableism going on with one of the characters becoming quadriplegic and the other characters essentially implying that her life will be worthless unless she takes a special potion that'll magically heal her. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment