Monday, September 30, 2024

Book Review: Tyger by SF Said

 

I have heard very good things about the book Varjak Paw, also by this author. So when I saw this one at the English bookstore in Amsterdam I just had to check it out. Spoilers ahead.

In an alternate reality where tigers are extinct and London is divided between the richer upper class and the lowly foreigners, a boy named Adam and a girl named Zadie meet up with an extraordinary creature: a higher being in the shape of a tyger. The Tyger becomes their friend and teaches them the secrets of the universe. Adam and Zadie will now have to use their new skills to rescue the dying Tyger and also overthrow the oppressive system.

Wow, this one was quite the ride. A very good book if you ask me. It feels like a modern classic. It has some very good elements that keep the reader engaged. I especially loved the themes of working together to stand against a stronger enemy, and the spiritual aspect. 

The characters are definitely very good as well. I instantly got attached to Adam and rooted for him to become an artist and be freed from the system holding him down. Same goes for Zadie, she's a lovely spirited character and a great secondary character to start alongside Adam. Their growing friendship also really made this book, their bond is just so nice to see develop over the course of the story. They also grow as characters and it's all just handled very well.

The Tyger was also a lovely character, not just being a great friend to the main characters but also their spiritual guide and mentor who in the end helps with thwarting of the evil Sir Maldehyde's plans. Her sacrifice was definitely the most heart-wrenching part of the book, it was just a beautifully written, poignant and bittersweet. I couldn't have asked for a better climax.

The plot was also interesting and consistently kept me engaged. The two plots of fighting oppression and saving the Tyger are tied together masterfully by the author.

Overall a great read, a modern classic if you ask me. I am looking forward to reading Varjak Paw even more now, seeing how I already own a copy.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment