Sunday, July 26, 2026

Book Review: The Last Thylacine by Terry Domico

 

I've had this one on my TBR for over a decade, fun fact, it's one of the first ones I ever added to my Goodreads list. So let's finally check it out. Spoilers ahead.

Matthew Clark is a biologist who one day comes across a thylacine in the wild. After making a deal with a powerful businessman to capture him a thylacine, he sets out with two other men, Michael and Victor, to capture one of the animals. But the thylacines prove very elusive, and Matthew is starting to have second thoughts about his mission.

It's not terrible, but I've so far read a few books about people going to look in the Tasmanian wilderness for thylacines and this one feels pretty repetitive in that regard. It doesn't do all that much to set itself apart from other books with this type of plot.

I also didn't vibe with any of the characters. Victor and the Kid weren't my favorites and Matthew, while slightly better, still had me frustrated a lot of the time. It also took him way too long to realize "wow this deal I made is bad for the thylacines actually" in my opinion. It's just such an obvious thing.

I guess the side characters were okay (there's this one woman, forgot her name, who Matthew has a nice relationship with, and his son Brian was decent as well) but our main three didn't do much for me at all.

Overall I found this book just to be kinda boring. There's loads of repetitious hunting for thylacines in the wilderness, so if you're not into that it gets old quick.

Rating: 3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment