Only one book left after this one. But how is this book? Is it good, or maybe not? Let's take a look.
Also yes, obvious disclaimer is obvious, I am friends with the author, but this review is my honest opinion.
Now finally reunited, the Caihongs must move on from the past as Chaocat is still hunting them down. But this proves more difficult as they initially thought. Especially Ren is struggling with herself after her deeds from the previous books. Will the family prevail?
This book honestly just wow-ed me with how good it was. Unlike some of the previous installments, where I have been a beta reader or at least roughly knew what I was going to get going in, I went into this one blind, not even looking up a synopsis before getting the ebook. And I'm honestly really glad I did, because this book constantly kept me guessing where things were going next, and I love it when a book can do that.
The character writing is also peak here. Phoenix was definitely good at their characters in the past, but this is where they excel in this installment. The characters feel realistic and flawed, yet also likable and you do root for them. I love the main three (Ak-tu, Zyn and Ren) a lot, but even characters with slightly smaller roles like Jabali, Mint and Sarala have good arcs here. I also love how these characters can get messy and how their development is never linear. It's never just a straightforward "and then they got better"-type of deal. These characters do have relapses or character regressions (before progressing) at times, which is what makes them feel so real and relatable. Also, there's even some Chaocat development in this book, which I highly welcome.
The settings were also unique and neatly described, as were the many fantastical creatures and spirits we come across on this journey.
The climax is long but also super intense and well-paced. Despite being a lot and pretty long, it also doesn't overwhelm the reader or overstay it's welcome.
If I do have a to pick a flaw, it's that I think that the characters of Cypress' parents could've been more distinct. There's three of them, all three have minor roles, and all three have noun-names which start with a C. And they just weren't really distinct enough for me to remember which one was which. They kinda blended together. But I will admit that they're supposed to be minor characters, so obviously the author can't get across as much characterization with them in that brief amount of interactions with them we get. But I still think they could've been a little bit more distinct personality or trait-wise. Aside from their pronouns all being different I still don't know which one of the three is which.
The book is also pretty long, which isn't an issue in and of itself, but it does have a slow start. So while that wasn't an issue for me personally, I can see it putting people off if it takes a while to get started. But let it be known: Once things get going, they get going.
But that's minor stuff. Aside from that, this is a really strong installment. I can't believe that there's only one left after this book. After such an epic climax, too.
Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:
Post a Comment