This book I bought secondhand years ago (like, I believe, a least three years ago) and just never ended up reading. So let's read it at last. Spoilers ahead...for this 100+ year old book haha.
Friends Water Rat and Mole are concerned about their pal Toad, who keeps getting up to all sorts of mischief with his many obsessions. Rat, Mole and Badger do what they can to get Toad out of trouble.
This wasn't anything grand or great, but honestly it didn't need to be. It was just a fun ride, a charming little story of these likable characters getting up to small adventures. I liked it. It wasn't my favorite book I've recently read, but it's quaint and charming.
The characters were the highlight for me, I think that Mole and Toad were my favorites. Mole is just really nice and kind and a bit timid. Toad meanwhile is fun because he is sometimes up to no good and has many manias he falls into that prompt him to do crazy actions. And while not my favorites, I also liked Rat and Badger, they were still charming characters in their own right.
The story also kept me mostly engaged and especially the plot from Toad's POV was interesting to me. The climax was also exciting and it was nice seeing Toad's character growth.
If I do have a critique, however, it's that the book lost me at some points in some of the Rat-and-Mole chapters of the story. There's a few chapters that feel kinda unrelated to the main story at hand, such as one where they meet the god Pan, or one where they meet a Sea Rat. While these were fun chapters, they just didn't really feel like they added that much to the main plot and kinda brought the story to a halt at times.
So yeah, pacing-wise this wasn't the greatest book, but overall I enjoyed it. It has a lot of charm to it and the characters are really enjoyable.
Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:
Post a Comment