Sunday, August 7, 2022

Book Review: Eighteen Moons by Elana A. Mugdan

 

Apparently I'm reading this in the wrong order, as this one is supposed to be read before book four of the Shadow War Saga by the same author. I personally try to read supplemental material after the fact for other series unless needed, but I missed the memo that this book is meant to be read in-between main series books. Ah well. Spoilers ahead!

Keriya Soulstar is (supposedly) dead, and her friends are left behind to clean up her mess in a world where Necrovar has now risen to power and finding allies willing to stand against him are hard to come by.

Overall I consider this to just be a solid installment in the Selaras-universe. I guess it's not a part of the main Shadow War Saga arc, but it's still very tightly connected to it all the same. It kind of feels like a book 3.5, if you catch my drift.

I liked seeing how Keriya's friends all reacted differently to her choices at the end of book three. I like that not all of them are forgiving (at least initially) towards her for this and do actively blame her. It made for some nice character development of characters such as Effrax, Roxanne, Seba and Fletcher. 

The book is honestly just pretty straightforward. Necrovar has now pretty much won, Keriya is gone and despite how hopeless the situation is our mains are trying to gather people to stand against him and his forces despite the low odds of winning. It made for a fine plot and I enjoyed getting to see the other races such as the elves once again.

I had a good time reading it. It didn't stand out to me in any particular way, but I liked reading it and didn't spot any real flaws.

Rating 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment