Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Book Review: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings #3)

 

About time I finished reviewing this trilogy! Spoilers ahead.

The final crucial hours in the War of the Ring have begun. Rohan and Gondor stand together against Sauron's forces, all the while a very exhausted Frodo and Sam have to walk the final stretch to destroy the Ring in Mount Doom with Gollum attempting to lead them astray.

I think that, aside from Fellowship, this is my favorite of the Rings trilogy. I also liked the second book, but this one just had me very engaged all throughout. I read it all in the span of one day, the fastest I've ever read any of Tolkien's books. 

And it's still just very well-written. Honestly, part of me wonders why I'm even doing these reviews as I really have nothing new to bring to the table. The books are fantastic, super descriptive with great characters, really wholesome moments, epic battles and of course a fantasy world like no other. I've read plenty of fantasy books in my time, but there's yet to be one that comes close to being as well-developed as Tolkien, which is funny because he's the one who started the modern fantasy trend in the first place.

It's just so fantastically written and this book has some of my favorite scenes, especially Éowyn and Merry together defeating the Witch King of Angmar. And the ending is of course still so bittersweet. The world is saved, but not for Frodo, who is too scarred after everything he had to endure. So he leaves Middle Earth behind and travels with the Elves to the Undying Lands, leaving behind his friends and of course the Shire. But despite this the ending isn't all sad, as life moves on and Sam now has the Red Book of Westmarch and will continue writing in it.

Just an all-round fantastic final installment. Also, if you like supplemental material you won't be disappointed as there is a 100+ pages long appendices section at the end of the book, with stuff like maps, pronunciations, history of Middle Earth, short bonus tales, family trees and more.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment