Sunday, January 15, 2023

Book Review: Nala's World by Dean Nicholson

 

The concept of this book instantly intrigued me when I read the back text. So let's have a look at one man's biking travels across the world. With a cat.

In this book, we follow Nicholson as he starts a huge journey. His goal: biking across the entire world. He travels great distances and usually camps at night. One day in eastern Europe, he comes across at ting abandoned stray kitten in the mountains, whom he takes in and names Nala. From here on we follow his and Nala's journey as he travels further east on bike. They come across many people and beautiful locations along their way, as well as quite a few obstacles. Nicholson also tries to do anything he can to help other stray animals he comes across on his travels.

This was just a really feel-good book that just really appealed to me. I love cats. I love biking through nature. I love traveling. This book has all of this and it's told beautifully. I loved seeing Nicholson's journey and how he got to grow close to Nala. 

There were some health complications with her at first, but soon she recovered and the journey continued. I honestly think this book would've already intrigued me if it was just about a guy biking across the world, but the added bonus of him having a cat and helping out other animals and sanctuaries he comes across was a nice plus. I also just love how strong the bond feels between the author and Nala. They really do care for one another so much.

The book was very well-written and honestly just instantly pulled me in. I never felt that it dragged too much in places or went too fast. I just wish there was a book two (maybe one will come out later) because this book ends before the journey is over. It ends right about when the pandemic hits and everyone goes into lockdown, thus leaving the author and Nala stranded. I assume that this book was maybe written to kill time during the pandemic, but I do hope we get to read about the continued journeys of Nala and Nicholson in the future. Their Instagram page where the journey is being documented is still active, so there's definitely more travels being undertaken that weren't described in the book. But if this book is a one-time thing, I'm still super glad I read it and it honestly is making me want to do some traveling of my own, perhaps by bike, in the future. 

Just a very heartfelt and inspiring read. It does have its darker moments, such as stray animals in horrible conditions, but Nicholson tries to spread awareness and gather donations for animal charities wherever he goes. So he absolutely did everything in his might to help the critters (and people running the sanctuaries) he came across.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment