Monday, January 30, 2023

Book Review: Wolf's Heart by Annemarie van den Brink and Suzanne Wouda

 

 Note: The title of this book has been translated into English by me for the reading comprehension of this blog's viewers as the book itself isn't available in English (yet). The original title reads Wolvenhart.

A short story collection! I do not read nearly enough of those. 

In this book we are shown various short stories for younger readers about animals that have really existed throughout history. These include Zafara the giraffe, Togo the sled dog, Pigcasso the painting pig, Hermien the escaped cow and the titular Lobo, King of the Currumpaw. Each story is several pages long and sometimes partially fictional, and then followed by an non-fiction account of the real history of the animals.

A fun and rather short read for younger readers who like animals and history, I'd say. It has a nice pace to it, I was rather invested in most stories, I like the mix of slight fictional elements and actual historical events, and I was glad to see the actual non-fiction explanations at the end of each chapter as well. The historical events-inspired short stories are fun and interesting to read, but I think the information given about each animal at the end is very necessary to remind us of the true happenings. 

I feel like this book is kind of a more juvenile version of Animals Strike Curious Poses by Elena Passarello. Similar concept, a short story/essay compilation about animals throughout history, except for younger readers and in Dutch. And I honestly like the execution of this one better, the writing voice being much more inviting and the tone being more consistent.

The book also has quite a few pretty illustrations included, which is a nice bonus. So if you're in the mood for a (pretty) light and quick read while also learning about various historical animals, I'd recommend this one. Just a fun short story compilation.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment