Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Book Review: A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen (Bob the Cat #1)

 

Okay, I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! Bob's story has intrigued me since I first heard of it, and the movie based on it I watched was also pretty good. So it's neat to finally get to read the story firsthand by Bowen himself. 

This non-fiction book tells the story of the unlikely friendship between the author James Bowen, a down-on-his-luck young street street musician who is a recovering drug addict, and the ginger street cat he meets. The two soon develop a very close bond and from here on we follow the day-to-day life of these two individuals. Bob mostly seems to get very warm reactions from people, and brightens Bowen's life. We get to experience their high highs and low lows. 

A very warm story to read. Just...comfortable. Not everything in the book itself is comfortable, of course. Bowen lived a pretty harsh life, recovering from his drug addiction and being poor, but just the friendship between these two is so warm and welcoming to read. You genuinely just feel the bond between this cat and his owner. 

Of course, there's also some downs with Bob as well. He and Bowen get separated a few times, Bob gets sick at one point, and not all people like him as much as Bowen and Bob's many friends. But generally the man-cat duo gets a really warm reception of people just doing so many kind things for them, mostly Bob. 

I liked the book's writing voice, it read very nicely to me and I sped through this book. My only "complaint" would be that I think it'd be nice if there were a few photos of Bob in the book, maybe at various points in his life. I think it could've better illustrated the life of Bob and Bowen at this point in the story. My edition had no pictures outside of the cover, and while not necessary I just think it'd have been a nice touch.

Overall a very good book, though. Had a great time reading it and if you like to read about the warm bond between a man and his cat I absolutely recommend it.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment