Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Book Review: The Ghost Cat of Bakerloo by Barbara Laban (The Midnight Cats #4)

 

Note: The title of this book has been translated into English by me for the reading comprehension of this blog's viewers as the book itself isn't available in English (yet). The original title reads Mitternachtskatzen #4: Der Geisterkater von Bakerloo.

Possibly the final book in the series? Spoilers ahead.

When Saïd loses his ability to speak to cats, Nova and Henry must now look for the mysterious "Ghost Cat of Bakerloo" in order to find a way to help their friend. Meanwhile, the Felidix are being tested in their skills by a strict official. Which is all the more difficult when you consider that Saïd can no longer talk to cats.

A decent way to end the series, if this is the end, I suppose. It's not bad. If you're looking for a fun light-hearted adventure with cats, here's your book. This book series in general isn't great, but it is pretty fun regardless. Some neat light reads for when I'm not in the mood for something all that serious.

However, I did find myself frequently very frustrated with the characters in this book, especially Nova (and to a lesser extent Henry) as they constantly lie to everyone around them in this book. Look, I'm not saying that these characters need to be morally pure angels who never tell a lie or anything, but when throughout the entire book these characters are non-stop telling lies upon more lies and they're not even good at lying, it gets annoying pretty quick. 

I also think that there could've been a moral here about how, if you're a kid who thinks they have a huge problem that's difficult to tell, sometimes telling a trusted adult, whether it be a parent, teacher, psychologist, etc. can help. But in the end it's mostly Nova and Henry saving the day themselves here without much aid from the adults. So I felt annoyed with the characters here. 

The story itself was engaging enough and, aside from our main characters being a bit annoying in their constant lying, the side characters were enjoyable enough. 

The book overall I'd call just solid. If you can get past your annoyance with the protagonists, this is a decent enough (possible) conclusion to the series.

Rating: 3.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment