Sunday, September 20, 2026

Book Review: Pocket Bear by Katherine Applegate

 

The cover looked cute so I had to check this one out. Spoilers ahead.

Zephyrina is a stubborn cat who works for a plush rescue, led by two humans (a mother her daughter) and the sentient teddy bear called Pocket. When Zephyrina one day rescues a valuable bear called Berwon, she and her plush/human family will have to rescue him from greedy people trying to exploit the bear.

This was a cute book. It wasn't all that grand and complex, but if you're in the mood for a simple and wholesome story about cats and sapient plushies, here you go.

I found the characters to be pretty charming and especially Zephyrina was an enjoyable lead. I love how typical "cattish" she acts, being very full of herself and preferring to do things her way, but she also has her heart in the right place and will do anything she can to help. A good example of a flawed but enjoyable protagonists.

I guess that I wasn't super invested in this story because of how simple and low-stakes it is, but it was still pretty good.

Rating: 3.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment