Sunday, September 20, 2026

Book Review: Guardians of the Taiga by StacyPlays (Wild Rescuers #1)

 

For the record, I have no experience with StacyPlays or her content, so I went into this blindly. Spoilers ahead.

Stacy is a girl who was raised by wolves and lives in the wilds of the taiga with her pack. Here, she and her wolves rescue any animal in need they come across. But then they start to learn about the villagers wanting to destroy the forest in order to make place for buildings. Will she and her wolves be able to stop them?

If you like nature and animals (particularly wolves) and simple adventures, this is probably for you. It's not overly complex, but it was still an enjoyable read. I liked our characters (especially Stacy, Page, Basil and Everest) and I think that the plot was engaging, albeit a bit predictable.

I think that my biggest issue is that the animals don't talk. Now, not every animal-centric story has to have the animals talk, of course. But in this book it just feels kinda odd that they don't, especially since it's clear that they understand Stacy anyway, and she understands them, too. If they spoke to her (note: only to her, not other humans) because they raised her, I feel it could've worked better than the kinda awkward way in which I felt it was handled now, where they can communicate but only Stacy speaks Human and the wolves speak Wolf (body language).  I also think that the personality of the animal characters would've come across stronger if the animals (or at least Stacy's pack) could talk, since some of the characters feel kinda bland as-is. If they had been able to talk, getting a personality across would've been much easier.

And, albeit minor, the book does use the tired alpha wolf theory I'm so sick of. So deducting a point for that.

Overall I still really enjoyed this, though!

Rating: 4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment