Friday, August 14, 2020

Book Review: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)

Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland Book Cover Locket Necklace ...


Everyone and their grandmother knows of this story. If you don't know it directly, you've probably at the very least seen an adaptation of it, such as the popular Disney ones. I didn't grow up with this story, but I did want to check it out just out of principle of having read this classic, so let's now have a look! 

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland follows the titular character as she chases a white anthropomorphic rabbit down a rabbit hole and falls down into a subterranean world of mystery and nonsense. Mostly nonsense, honestly. From that point on it's just her coming across various odd scenarios and characters, the vast majority of which make no sense.

I'm not a huge fan of this book, honestly. It's definitely good, just not as great as I'd expected it to be from how much of a classical status it has. There really is no overall plot, just Alice exploring this world full of interesting characters. So if you were expecting an actual storyline to follow, you won't get it.

I guess that what really puts me off from it is just that it is mostly nonsense, the lack of a real story structure aside. We just get random bonkers scenario after random bonkers scenario. They don't really connect all that much, it's rather episodic, which didn't work for me. I expected there to be a bit more logic to Wonderland, but that's apparently obviously antithetical to what the land stands for. 

I will say that there is a certain charm to it, and Alice also is kind of a fun character. She isn't amazing or anything, but she was an okay protagonist to work off of all these random things, though honestly I do think she under-reacts to quite a bit of the things that happen to her. She's like "oh, I've never seen a talking rabbit before", rather than something along the lines of "EEEK that animal can talk!".

Not perfect, but an okay read if you want to get your classics down.

Rating: 3/5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment