Thursday, July 15, 2021

Book Review: The Champion's Squire by Elana A. Mugdan

 


This isn't my first dive into the world of Allentria, as I've reviewed books one-three of Mugdan's Shadow War Saga before. I'm definitely interested in returning to this realm, however! I also plan on getting to book four eventually, bear with me please. Spoilers ahead!

When a drachvold  attacks the realm of Whitestone, a champion must be found to defeat the creature and save its residents. Lowly servant Rael is send out on a quest to find exactly such a champion, which ends up being the brave Gavin Swiftwind.

This was just a neat little novella. It's nothing that grand or epic as the main series plotline is, but it doesn't need to be. For a simpler story, it did its job well.

I liked the characters of Rael and Gavin, as they had some real banter and later on chemistry together. There were also some neat little side conflicts they came across on their journey back to Whitestone.

There was one big reveal at the end that I did honestly see coming as soon as it was revealed that Rael was actually a girl, but if you don't mind the predictability it's really nothing negative. This honestly reads more like a short little fairy tale, with a slight twist to it. 

The conclusion of the drachvold actually needing its eggs back was also a satisfying conclusion. If it'd ended with the generic "champion kills the creature and gets the chick", I probably would've disliked it, but I did like this conclusion a lot.

It's nothing grand, but it's a good story all the same. If you liked the main-arc books of the Shadow War Saga, I definitely recommend you check this out!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment