Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Book Review: Tree's Roots by Erin Hunter (Warriors Novella #17)

 


Tree is a character I'm fairly neutral on. I like him together with Violetshine, but so far I don't really have an opinion on him either way. So maybe this novella can change that, the first time we get his POV! Spoilers ahead.

Born into the Sisters, Tree (then called Earth) is soon cast out when he reaches his sixth moon. However, he is desperate for a family or a place to call home, and may just end up finding it along the way.

For what it was, I really liked this novella! It wasn't amazing or anything, but solid. I think this also made me like the character more. Still not my favorite, but it definitely made me gravitate more towards him. I also just felt so bad for him, having to put up with such a misandrist family and your two closest family members die.

This story also somewhat intersects with the Pebbleshine's Kits novella from the same book containing these three, where Tree helps her out after she's just had her kits. It was honestly pretty nice to see these two interact. It made me glad that Tree eventually ended up in SkyClan and be with Violetshine. I know there's an age gap between the two of them, but they both waited until they were adults so that's definitely good. 

I also enjoyed the character or Root. Stream only had such a brief appearance that I didn't really get any impression of him, but we spent just enough time with Root to see him develop a bond with Tree and then eventually give his life for his son. That was sweet and heartbreaking.

I definitely wonder how Tree's relationship to the Sisters will affect things in the future, now that they're staying with the Clans post-Moonlight's death. Makes ya wonder.

Rating: 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment