Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Book Review: Pebbleshine's Kits by Erin Hunter (Warriors Novella #16)

 


It honestly took me a while to remember who exactly Pebbleshine was exactly. Seriously, I was legit under the impression she was a random ThunderClan cat rather than the mother of Twigkit and Violetkit. Ah well, I at least know who she is now. Let's see how her book goes, shall we? Spoilers ahead.

After being separated from SkyClan on their journey to the lake territories, pregnant Pebbleshine is determined to find her way home. However, over a moon of walking gets her nowhere, and when her kits are born, she faces a difficult decision.

The book itself was... decent? I really don't have much to say about it. Okay, maybe a bit.

Pebbleshine wasn't exactly a character I was overly fond of before (I didn't dislike her or anything, but she just wasn't my favorite), but this book did make me feel some affection for her. I really do respect how determined she is to find SkyClan and Hawkwing even after getting ample of opportunities to just settle somewhere peaceful and not look back. She's got spirit, I'll give her that.

If you've read the main arc, you already know that she does die by the end, however she decides to stay as a ghost down on Earth to watch over her kits rather than go to StarClan. I'm honestly not sure if I'd make that decision if I were her, she wouldn't be able to interact with Violetkit and Twigkit, anyways, only watch. Plus, she can watch from StarClan, as other books have established. So I don't know, I feel like she might as well have joined StarClan and watched her kits from there rather than choose an afterlife of solitute and loneliness. Kind of a depressing ending to the book, not just because she dies but also because of the fate she chooses. I know she moves onto StarClan eventually in A Vision of Shadows, but it's a bit of a bummer ending for this novella alone.

I don't have much to say about this story, but it's solid. Worth reading if you wanted to know what exactly happened between Pebbleshine between her vanishin in Hawkwing's Journey and her appearing as a ghost in A Vision of Shadows.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment