Sunday, May 17, 2020

Book Review: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park #1)


Jurassic Park (novel) - Wikipedia

I’ve been a fan of the Jurassic Park films since childhood. From my dinosaur hyperfixations to me collecting dino merch, they had a big impact on it, especially early on. I also still enjoy the modern reboots of Jurassic World. But now that I have the opportunity to take a gander at the books, does it hold up as well as the first film adaptation? Let’s find out.

Everyone and their grandma already knows the story: a rich guy named Hammond creates a zoo of dinosaurs, cloned back from extinction. Before opening, a few people are selected for a test visit, only to have things go totally wrong and dinosaurs escape. Will they make it out alive?

I greatly enjoyed this book. The characters were mostly really fun to follow, and it was just exploring this dinosaur park that made it so enjoyable for me. I loved going to all these places and taking more time to view them than in the movie.

There’s also plenty of illustrations and showcases of what the characters are looking at on multiple occasions, making the experience feel very immersive. We also get a lot of science bits that I honestly don’t know are accurate or not, but I’m totally willing to buy with how well-described they are. I feel that the dinosaur depictions are obviously a bit dated due to when this was published, but it doesn’t take away from the greatness of the story in the slightest.

I just had a blast reading this one and definitely recommend it!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment