Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Book Review: Shadows of the Dark Crystal by J.M. Lee (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal #1)


Shadows of the Dark Crystal #1 (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal ...

I’m a huge fan of the new Dark Crystal Netflix series, that’s not unknown. But now that I’ve gotten my hands on one of the prequel novels that follows the storyline from the series from a slightly different POV, how does that hold up? Let’s check it out. Spoilers ahead.

The story follows a similar one to the series, as said before: Gelfling Rian and Gurjin are said to be traitors by the Skeksis. Naia, our protagonist (and Gurfjin’s sister) sets out on a journey to defend her brother and find out the truth, coming across a tag-along named Kylan along the way.

I just loved this novel. It’s short, yes, but it gave me more content that I longed for with there still being no confirmation of a season two of the actual series. I really liked the writing style and just everything about the book. The illustrations also weren’t necessary but a nice bonus!

The characters I greatly enjoyed. I already knew Naia, Tavra and Kylan from the series, obviously, but this book definitely gave me a new look into them. Naia had to be my favorite, but I appreciated our other characters, some of which didn’t even make it into the show, too.

I guess that there are maybe some inconsistencies with the series itself. Some of the events and characters don’t line up with the final show. So I do question the ultimate canonicity of the books to the series. But even if they aren’t canon in the universe of the Netflix series and movie, this still makes for some nice supplementary material to explore. 

Definitely give this one a read if you’re familiar with the series and/or movie! You will probably need to know some base things about Thra, The Dark Crystal and its world building in order to get into this (not a lot of the creatures/magic/etc. is explained), but if you are, you’ll probably find this one a treat like I did.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment