Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Book Review: Redtail's Debt by Erin Hunter (Warriors Novella #13)

 


As far as I can tell, we've never gotten a Warriors story from Redtail's point of view, so when I heard this novella got announced, I instantly got excited. I held off from buying it for a while because I haven't gotten to the point I can read the other stories in the three-story collection it was released in, but when I came across it, I finally caved. The other stories will come another day. So let's see the events preceding The Prophecies Begin from Redtail's point of view. Spoilers ahead.

Redpaw is only an apprentice when his life gets saved by a younger yet still ambitious Tigerclaw. The tortoiseshell tom admires the tabby for this, but soon enough he starts having second thoughts about his idolization, when Tigerclaw starts showing more and more how far he's willing to go in order to obtain power.

I definitely enjoyed this novella. Redtail was an interesting character to read about. You see how he's really conflicted between his seeming debt to Tigerclaw and doing what's right. He even is willing to please Tigerclaw on several occasions, which I really didn't see coming. Tigerclaw didn't particularly get more development here, but I did like the kind of weird comradely that took place between the two toms early on in the story. Tigerclaw clearly looks down on Redtail a bit, but he's willing to see how far he'll go and doesn't dismiss him outright like he did Ravenpaw for example. Redtail genuinely likes Tigerclaw at first, but ultimately comes to his own conclusions.

There are some significant inconsistencies in this book, though. Like I've said before, I tend to not bring these up unless they're major, which they are in this case. First of all: Ravenpaw's characterisation. This book suggests that Ravenpaw used to be battlehungry and brave prior to The Prophecies Begin, however, it's been confirmed in books like Bluestar's Prophecy and even Prophecies that he's always been nervous and shy. But to be more major: how Oakheart dies. I really get the impression that the authors of this book only skimmed Into The Wild and not beyond, because in Redtail's Debt, it's Redtail who kills Oakheart, consciously, not rocks that unintentionally fell onto the RiverClan deputy. This just really is a major plot point in Prophecies, so seeing it retconned away here is just bad.

However, despite this, Redtail's Debt was definitely an enjoyable read, even if it doesn't stick to the pre-established canon all that much. I'd give this one four stars for enjoyment, but due to the major retcons, I'm going to have to lower it to a three.

 Rating: 3/5




No comments:

Post a Comment