Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Book Review: The Brightest Night by Tui T. Sutherland (WIngs of Fire #5)

 


Let's see how the first Wings of Fire arc closes off with The Brightest Night! Spoilers ahead!

After being kidnapped by a bunch of NightWings, Sunny rescues herself and sets out on her own quest to make the prophecy come true, whether it's real or not. This leads her to come across both her parents, ex-queen Scarlet, the SandWing sisters' brother Smolder, and three scavengers that could prove helpful in her quest. 

So, the finishing point of arc one. I'll be honest, it's not quite up there with my favorite books in the series, which were all the three middle books. This one to me is a bit more on the level of The Dragonet Prophecy- still fantastic, but not quite as amazing as the rest. 

Sunny is definitely a delightful character to read the perspective off. She's constantly shoved aside by most of her adoptive siblings for being too pure and innocent, when she's actually rather clever and strong in her own way. Some of the characters we got introduced to were also a delight, from Qibli's fierceness to her mother's creative insults to Smolder, brother of the SandWing princesses. We also finally learn about the whereabouts of queen Scarlet, after her being a mystery pretty much since the ending of book one. Peril also makes a return, something I was very glad to see as I loved her in the first book. The only character in this book I wasn't too big on was Sunny's father, he wasn't that interesting to me and just seeing him wallow in his own self-pity was not fun at all.

The final climax was pretty intense and I liked seeing how the prophecy, fake or not, did come true in its own way. However, I don't think this climax is quite as strong as the one in the last book. I simply preferred Morrowseer as villain as opposed to Blister and Burn, as well. 

The reveal that Sunny was half NightWing was something I slowly started to pick up on throughout the book, but it was still a bit of a surprise when we got the final reveal, as it was built up properly. I don't think that, so far, her being a hybrid adds much to the story, though.

So, yeah, was this a satisfying conclusion to the first arc? Definitely. But is it as good as the midpoint books? I'd say not quite there yet, but not a huge difference. Pick up this book after you've read the others!

Rating: 4.25/5


No comments:

Post a Comment