Saturday, March 13, 2021

Book Review: The Lost Continent by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire #11)


Another day, another review. Wings Of Fire: The Lost Continent. Book 11 of the series. Let’s get right into this because I love this book. Spoilers ahead.


On a different continent to Pyrrhia named Pantala live two different tribes: the dominant HiveWings and the peaceful SilkWings, which are used as servants by the ruling other tribe. When a young Silkwing named Blue unexpectedly becomes saught after by the HiveWings, he and a rag-tag group of new and old friends must find a way to escape the clutches of Queen Wasp.

 I loved the plot of this book. I once more, like with many of the other Wings Of Fire books, had no real idea where it was going.

I also really like the worldbuilding in this book. Tui has always been strong at this, in my opinion. It really shows in the earlier books, and it definitely shows here. While we didn’t go quite as in detail here yet as in the other books because this is obviously the first one, I love what we got. These new species of dragon look amazing in my opinion. I love their bug and tree-like designs. My personal favorite new dragon has to be the LeafWings, they are absolutely aesthetic. I liked the new continent, which seemed to be modeled after Africa. I also thought it was a nice detail that, on Pantala, they have books, rather than scrolls.

The characters were, once more, a big positive. Our protagonist Blue undergoes wonderful character development within this book. I love how empathetic he is and how he will often try to imagine himself in someone else’s shoes, even if that someone isn’t nice at all. There are other characters, of course. I liked Luna, though we didn’t get a lot of her in this book. My personal favorite was Sundew. Cricket is another one I just love. The only major character I didn’t find myself getting into quite as much was Swordtail. But maybe that’ll be fixed in later books.

The pacing felt just perfect in my opinion. I never once felt like we lingered somewhere too long or we rushed through something.

I also really enjoyed all the references to Clearsight, who is one of my favorite characters from earlier books. The only thing that did make me somewhat uncomfortable is how she is pretty much being treated like a goddess by these dragons, but I think that she herself isn’t to blame for this, but rather the dragons who started to worship her after her death. I think it’d be very out of character for Clearsight to get herself worshiped by others, so I think this whole temple and Book of Clearsight worship started after her death. She also doesn’t learn the language of the dragons native to Pantala, which she should’ve done in my opinion.

But still, I’m just glad that, whatever happened to her after she arrived at the lost continent, she managed to live a long and happy life.

I’m really curious to see which dragons are the real descendants of Clearsight. I have strong suspicions that the HiveWings in reality aren’t, but I guess we’ll have to see.

These were my thoughts on The Lost Continent. If you’ve been following my arc two reviews, you probably know of my mixed feelings on the second said arc. Wherever arc 3 is heading, I think we had a really strong start with this one. If you have any remote thought that books about dragons, fantasy or something along those lines might interest you, I recommend you pick up the first book of the first arc, The Dragonet Prophecy, right now, and start reading your way towards this one!

Rating: 5/5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment