Sunday, March 21, 2021

Book Review: Darkstalker by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire Legends #1)

  


Now that I'm all caught up to Wings of Fire except for this one and the novellas, I think it's about time we took a look at Darkstalker, the first in the Wings of Fire Legends series. Spoilers ahead!

In this book we follow three dragons: Darkstalker, the to-be main villain of the second arc; Clearsight, his one true love and a chronic worrywart; and Fathom, a traumatized animus SeaWing. Darkstalker, born with too much power, seems to have a dark life ahead of him, and despite every precaution he and his friends take to prevent dark possible futures from happening, things do seem to go downhill as time moves on.

This was definitely a very interesting look into the going sons two thousand years ago. We were told approximately what happened in arc two as well, but narrators could've been unreliable. So here we get the true accounts of the events all those years back.

Tui definitely still is a master at character-writing. I've praised the personalities of her characters time and again, and there's no exception here. While these main characters aren't what I'd call my personal favorites out of the ones we've gotten so far, they are definitely still well-written. I personally relate to Clearsight the most, constantly worrying about everything. I think she'll have to be my favorite protagonist out of this book.

Fathom and Darkstalker were fine, too, and I especially liked seeing how charismatic yet dark Darkstalker got as time went on. I also particularly enjoyed Listener, as scavengers-rights activist and best friend to Clearsight, and Whiteout, Darkstalker's unique sister. Foeslayer was also a lovely character, but I absolutely loathed Darkstalker's father, Arctic. 

I also thought that the relationship between Indigo and Fathom was particularly wholesome. I'm not usually one for romance and I've already said that a couple of Wings of Fire pairings I've talked about don't feel that genuine or come on too strong, but these two just felt perfect together, especially after all the horrible things they went through and how they had to be apart for such a long time despite never having stopped loving one another. I just genuinely felt a connection between these two, the way I don't often do for fictional couples, so props to Tui for writing it so well.

Darkstalker is a very interesting look into what happened two thousand years ago and into this villains' character. It doesn't excuse his horrible actions, but it absolutely shows where he's coming from. I definitely recommend you pick up this one while reading the second arc, after Escaping Peril would probably be best if you ask me. 

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment