Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Book Review: The Dangerous Gift by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire #14)


Can you guys believe we're almost done with arc three already? I sure as hell cannot. Okay, so, because I literally just finished the book and want to write this review while it's still fresh in my head, we're skipping ahead to this book. Don't worry, I'll go back to writing reviews of the previous books again after this, I haven't forgotten about those! So let's see how good The Dangerous Gift really is! Spoilers ahead!

After the arrival of the Pantalan dragons on Pyrrhia, the inexperienced new queen of the IceWings must face a decision: will she help them out or not? This choice isn't made any easier by an animus-touched ring she can't take off, that makes her experience visions from the point of view of other dragons.

Tui just doesn't disappoint at all in this arc, does she? I know I've been a bit negative here and there in arc two (nothing overwhelmingly negative, I just didn't like it as much as the first arc), but arc three just keeps blowing me away with how good it is.

Okay, so when I heard that Snowfall of all dragons was going to be this books' protagonist, I was skeptical. Like after everything being so Pantala-centric this series, we suddenly get a dragon who I honestly forgot existed as our new protagonist? She didn't even play a major part in the slightest in the other books in this arc, which is usual for most protagonists we've had in arc one and two. But she didn't disappoint.

I related a lot to her self-doubt and insecurities. She has a harsh exterior and does show that she thinks she's better than others sometimes, but deep down she just wants what's right for the kingdom, though she's willing to go to extreme (magical) measures in order to do so. I just really enjoyed seeing her develop more empathy and becoming so open-minded throughout this book. I did not expect to remotely like this protagonist going in, believe me, but I did. I've said this before, but Tui's character writing rules. All of her characters feel so distinct and while I didn't particularly connect a lot to Moon for example, there's yet a protagonist she has to write that I actively don't care for. 

Lynx was also tons of fun for a character foil to Snowfall. I also enjoyed the brief glimpses we got at her sisters Mink and Crystal, as well as her cousin Winter. Of course the Pantalan dragons are still good, too, but they really do take a back seat to Snowfall's development. Not saying it's bad, just don't expect them to be very involved 100% of the time. They aren't completely shoved aside either, heck, we even get some glimpses of the dragons back at Pantala. I just expected them to be a bit more central to this book. But it's not a complaint, just an observation.

We also get the return of favorites from Dragonslayer: Sky and Wren. The secret is out: humans/scavengers are sentient and can, if trained, speak to dragons. It's about as big a deal as you expect. We also briefly meet some new human characters that live in the cave system back at Pantala, and something called the "abyss", whatever that could be.

Then there's Jerboa III, or, as I should say, Boa. Poor, poor girl. Created by an animus dragon and put under so many spells to be 100% suited to her mother's needs. That section of the book was really dark, and even after Boa breaks free there's the heartbreaking revelation that she'll be horribly scarred with each spell she does. I fully understand why she got rid of animus magic, and totally support that decision. Heck, even plot-wise I like it since I brought up in my arc 2 reviews that I didn't particularly care for the overuse of magic in that arc. Just... poor  Boa.

 The plot of the book is in a way more low-stakes. Like, yes, the looming threat of the othermind and its breath of evil still persists, but the main conflict for Snowfall in this book is really her inner struggles and deciding whether or not to help the Pantalan dragons. So if you were hoping for something filled with tons of action, yeah, you'll probably be disappointed. But if you were invested in her character and conflict like I was, that didn't really matter. It still adds to the overall plot and I personally think this is one of the stronger Wings of Fire books.

So, yes, not very action-packed, but what it does have it executes so well that I simply do not care. It's a great installment. I'm looking forward to the last book even more now!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment