Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Book Review: Talons of Power by Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire #9)

 


We're officially past the halfway point of arc 2! So let's learn about Turtle! Spoilers ahead.

Darkstalker has awoken from his two-thousand year slumber and now seeks to rule the NightWings. Turtle, who has cast a hiding spell on himself, wants to figure out a way to stop him, but such is a heroic quest, and he sees himself as anything but a hero.

Just another really strong installment!

First of all, Turtle is yet another great character in the POV-characters lineup. I really didn't expect to like him that much, but I just do. Tui is queen of characterization, honestly, her characters all feel so distinct. Turtle is no exception. You just feel so sorry for him with his self-esteem issues. I also could relate to him wanting to be a writer, which is a dream I've had for a long time, too. The other characters are also great. We get more insight into Anemone, and the other Jade Winglet members re-appear, of course. 

I initially wasn't keen on Kinkajou being under a love-spell, but it wasn't horribly annoying like how the trope is often executed, with the constant swooning over someone else. She clearly likes Turtle, but it's not even that obvious that she's under a spell.

Darkstalker is a very charismatic villain and while not my personal favorite out of the Wings of Fire villainous lineup, I do genuinely like him and think that he's very well written. Just how manipulative and powerful he is, yet also the better side of him that sometimes ever so slightly shines through. He's ultimately still the villain, of course, but you do grow to at least care for him in a way.

I do think that maybe the whole animus/magic aspect is being a bit too utilized at this point. Like, I liked the magic in Wings of Fire when it was used ins mall amounts, but I feel like it's becoming a bit much in this book. It'd make sense for Darkstalker to use tons of spells, but I feel like it's becoming a bit overkill this arc. Not saying I dislike it for that, it's just my personal preference that I'd rather explore different things than so much magic usage in this series.

Overall, a really strong installment! Almost as good as book eight! 

Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment