Saturday, April 25, 2020

Book Review: 1984 by George Orwell


1984 by George Orwell. I finished this book two nights ago. It's ...

I do not read enough classics.  So, to combat this, I decided to have a look at a very popular one: 1984 by George Orwell.

You probably all know how the story goes. Man lives in dystopian society ruled by the almighty Great Brother who has his forces monitor anything, including thoughts. Gets captured and tortured for going against the wishes of the government. Tragedy and really uncomfortable scenes ensue.

What can I say that hasn’t been said yet? 1984 is a brilliantly imagined and written novel. It wasn’t the easiest for me to get into, but I soon found myself hooked by Orwell’s writing style and, above all, the world.

I will say, it wasn’t as much the characters that were the appeal for me, it was the world building, obviously. Not saying Winston and Julia are horribly written or anything, I just couldn’t get into them as much. But I found myself constantly wondering what all the aspects of this dystopian society were like. From the Party to the members working for them to all the propaganda, I just ate it all up.

The ending definitely wasn’t what I expected it to be, but I still liked it, too. 1984 is a well-paced, imaginative and cautionary novel I recommend to anyone of the right age to understand it. Even if you don’t like this genre much, it has definitely something you’ll take away from it if you ask me.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment