Monday, April 6, 2020

Book Review: The Hunt for Elsewhere by Beatrice Vine


The Hunt for Elsewhere: Beatrice Vine: 9781453876749: Amazon.com ...

I don’t have much of an intro here. Today I’m simply reviewing The Hunt For Elsewhere by Beatrice Vine. Enjoy!



Saxton is a young fox, separated from his family early on. Raised by a wise old crow, he grows up to be quite different from other foxes by the time he meets his family again. Eventually, Saxton meets up with a one-eyed wolf named Dante, and the fox and the wolf end up going on a journey across North America to put a family member to rest.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed the plot of this book. For a long time, I didn’t even know exactly where it was going. I did have my suspicions of what was going to happen, and some of them turned out to be correct, but the story still managed to surprise me plenty of times. I kept wondering what kind of situation Saxton and Dante were going to end up in next on their journey.

Speaking of these two, they were actually really decent protagonists. They’re not flawless by any means, but they learn from one another and become the closest of friends. Seeing their friendship grow just felt really sweet and heartwarming. They are both wonderful characters and develop just perfectly.

Quill, Saxton’s crow dad, was also a delightful character. He was enjoyable and wise, and a better family to Saxton than his real one was.

There are many other animals we come across in the story, from a street-wise leader of a clowder of cats to a wolf pack run by tyrants. I was surprised by how much of the side characters stuck with me, even if some of them are only there briefly to help Saxton and Dante on their journey. I surprisingly liked a duo of raccoons, Juniper and even Sol.

The pacing was also pretty good. Not always equally fast, but that was necessary to properly establish and develop the wonderful characters.

I did find a few minor grammar mistakes in this one, but I can forgive it since the rest was so good and this is self published book.

Overall, this is a book I’d give a recommendation if you like xenofiction with animals, traveling stories done right, or just a book with beautifully developed characters. Give this one a read!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment