Thursday, April 23, 2020

Book Review: Tigerclaw's Fury by Erin Hunter (Warriors Novella #4)


bol.com | Warriors: Tigerclaw's Fury (ebook), Erin Hunter, Hunter ...

Welcome to another Warriors review. Because I haven’t done enough of these yet, am I right? Here I’ll be taking a look at Tigerclaw’s Fury. Minor spoilers ahead.

In this book, Tigerclaw, now freshly cast out of ThunderClan for his betrayal, vows revenge on Fireheart and the rest of ThunderClan. But that doesn’t go easily now that he’s an outcast. However, the terrible sickness in ShadowClan might just give him the opportunity he needs to gain a bigger following and enact his devious plans.

I am mostly neutral on this book. What I mostly expected was a deeper insight into Tigerclaw’s character; why he’s so evil and stuff. Was it because of his abusive mentor Thistleclaw? His father abandoning him and ThunderClan as a kit? Really, I don’t think it’s much of any of these. They are certainly brought up, but not to the extent they seem to be the full reason he turned evil. The Dark Forest is brought up, but Tigerclaw doesn’t even truly know what and who they are until halfway into this book, and he already was evil way before that.

The characters were all right. Not the greatest, as is to be expected with Warriors by now, but I did like this new perspective we got on some of them. From Blackfoot and the other rogues to more ShadowClan cats; we get to see them from a new point of view. This was honestly kind of refreshing. Also, having a book being written from the villain’s perspective is somewhat rare in this series, I believe?

The pacing was decent, and I did like the insight this book also gave us on what truly went down with Whitethroat, Tigerclaw and the rest of ShadowClan.

I did feel somewhat weirded out by Clawface suddenly being alive again. Like… why is he here suddenly? He was bloody killed in book 2. And now he’s here? Ah well, continuity, schmontinuity, I suppose.

Overall, while far from perfect, I liked this book enough. It did offer a unique perspective on some characters and events, and I appreciate that it can do that, even though it didn’t particularly develop Tigerclaw’s character a whole lot. 

Rating: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment