Saturday, April 18, 2020

Book Review: Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (Death Gate Cycle #1)


Dragon Wing: The Death Gate Cycle, Volume 1 | Margaret Weis ...

This book is one I bought for cheaply at a secondhand book fair. While it didn’t immensely speak to me, it did have a dragon on the cover, which was kind of neat, and I liked what I read on the blurb, so I decided to take it home, it was cheap anyways. Today we’ll be having a look at it. Is it any good, or best left forgotten? Let’s check out Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Spoilers below the cut.


In the fantasy world of the Death Gate Cycle, the world is divided into several different sections of different floating island. The ones floating the highest belong to the high and mighty elves, while the humans live in the middle lands, and the dwarves, also called Gegs, which live in the lowest portions of the universe and are subservient to the elves.

Notorious assassin Hugh the Hand takes on a mission to kill a changeling prince, yet this turns out to be quite the adventure he wasn’t ready for. The boy turns out to be magically protected, and has mystic powers of his own. Hugh, the child Bane and his servant Alfred set out on a journey across the floating lands, which takes them all the way down to the Gegs and is full of trouble and adventure.
The first thing that spoke to me when I opened this book was the world building. When I first opened it and saw the maps, I was very confused. It looks very complicated, however, the text does a very good job of explaining this world called Arianus. Reading what is mentioned in the chapters and then going back to compare it to the maps, it makes a lot more sense.

I have a soft spot for floating islands, and this was no different. I loved the idea of the different levels as well, with the elves on top and the dwarves, which are seen as the lowest beings, below. I also thought that the idea of having water as a form of monetary system was very interesting, since there’s some places in Arianus with major water shortages. The cultures of each different race (though we mostly focus on the humans and Gegs) are described thoroughly and are full of unique jargon and quirks.
The story was also definitely something different from what I usually read, but I nonetheless enjoyed it. This is more mature fantasy, yet it’s still a book I mostly had fun with. The writing style wasn’t the most accessible, but I also read the Dutch translation of this book, and I have a notorious history of having a harder time reading in my native language over the preferred English.

The characters were not the most amazing, but definitely flashed out enough. Bane was interesting, I had a good time reading Hugh’s and Limbeck’s POVs, and I even really found myself liking Alfred, despite him being a type of character I’d normally easily get annoyed with. There isn’t a very big cast of characters or anything, it’s mostly just our core cast, but they each do a good job of what they’re supposed to do. I was definitely sad to see Hugh die by the end.

I guess if I could have a “criticism” (if you could even call it that) it’s that a dragon is very prominently featured on the cover, yet they barely play any role in it. There’s some dragons, but they mostly function as a transport means and nothing else. There’s later a bigger dragon which goes rogue, but, again, it’s very minor. None of the dragons have a name or even a real presence worth looking at. For someone who loves dragons and reading fantasy about them, this was a little bit deceiving. There isn’t even that much flying on top of dragons in the entire book, mostly just in ships made from their skins. Ah well, just a personal preference.

While I don’t think I’ll be continuing this series because it ultimately didn’t speak to me enough, I will give it credit for being a good startup for the first book, especially for a random pick at a book fair that I had no expectations for going in. If I ever happen to come across the second book in a bookstore, I may get it, but I don’t see myself going out of my way to order the rest of the series online or something along those lines. Still, this is a good read, and I think that it’ll definitely appeal to some readers! It’s just not very to my tastes, and that’s okay!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment