Monday, April 20, 2020

Book Review: Tallstar's Revenge by Erin Hunter (Warriors Super Edition #6)


Tallstar's Revenge/Gallery | Warriors Wiki | Fandom

Welcome to another review. I’m continuing my prequel Super Edition review series with this one. Exciting? I hope?

Anywho, today we’re reviewing Tallstar’s Revenge by Erin Hunter. Spoilers ahead.


Tallkit is a kit born in WindClan, and he dreams of becoming a moor runner, rather than a tunneler. His parents, however, were both tunnelers, and want him to become one, too. The work in the tunnels is dangerous, however.
One day, a tragic accident takes place in one of the tunnels, and Talltail is set on getting revenge. So he leaves WindClan and goes on a journey to find the cat he thinks is responsible and kill him.

I liked the plot. A revenge story is something I usually find interesting, and here was no exception. I really enjoyed Talltail’s journey to get what he was looking for, and seeing all the obstacles he came across.

The conflict with the tunnelers and the moor runners in WindClan was also something I thought was really interesting, as I don’t think we’ve seen something like this in a Clan before.

Talltail I think is an enjoyable lead. He’s very bitter throughout a lot of the book, but it never got to the point of annoyance for me, unlike with Bluefur. Seeing him gradually open up and become less grouchy is really satisfying.

Another major character is Jake, who the book keeps calling Talltail’s best friend, but, let’s face it, they’re boyfriends. Jake is a very warm, open and intelligent character and I really enjoyed the parts where he was there, even if he isn’t present that much even in the books.

Of course there’s a lot of other characters, with this being both a Warriors book and a Super Edition. What I did find really interesting is, spoiler alert, that there isn’t a real main villain, outside of the obvious other Clans. Most Warriors books seem to have a main antagonist or villain, but this one is somewhat absent of one, which I really appreciate.

I liked the relationship between Talltail and Jake. It was really cute. My only complaint is that Jake is maybe there for too little in the book? He’s only there throughout part of Talltail’s journey, which isn’t all that long in comparison to the time we spend in WindClan.
I just wish Talltail and Jake got to spend more time together, which would’ve made their relationship seem even stronger.

This could maybe have been fixed by making the journey longer as well. If you know me well enough, you know I don’t like a lot of the “travelling”-books in the Warriors series. And I’m not asking for them to have the journey take up the majority of the book, or even half of it. But maybe a third would’ve been nice, which I don’t believe it is right now.

Case in point, I just wish we got more Talljake to make their relationship even stronger. However, I’m not saying what we got is bad at all! They already have a really strong relationship, which is awesome.

The pacing felt just alright to me. Like I said before, for a book’s main focus to be someone’s revenge journey, we do only spend a relatively short time on said trip. I just wish it was a little less WindClan and more Talltail’s journey.

That is not to say that the WindClan stuff is bad, it’s definitely not, but since the book’s main point of interest seems to be Talltail growing distant from his Clan and going on his trip to try and get his revenge, you’d simply expect that to be the main focus.

Overall, I thought this was a nice Super Edition, and definitely one you should check out if you’re a fan of the Warriors series! I prefer this one to Bluestar’s Prophecy, that’s no secret. It has some minor problems, but I do feel like this is one of the strongest arc 1 prequel Super Editions we got.

Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment