Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Book Review: Dragon Blood by Elana A. Mugdan (Shadow War Saga #3)



Dragon Blood (Shadow War Saga): Elana a Mugdan: 9781532387968 ...

I’ve taken a look at Dragon Speaker and Dragon Child… so it only makes sense I take a gander at Dragon Blood as well, right? I was overwhelmingly positive for both first and second Shadow War Saga books, so I really hope that book three can live up to their reputation as well! Without further ado, this is Dragon Blood by Elana A. Mugdan. Spoilers ahead.


Now having lost the second confrontation with Necrovar and somehow ending up at the other side of the world, Keriya must take her time to recover from the traumatic experiences that took place and find a new way to bring down the evil warlord. She makes new friends and trains in the new land she’s in, but even there, nothing is without its threats. She starts to seek an arcane power that can somehow overpower Necrovar, which hopefully can help her in her quest to defeat him.

I think this is another very good installment in this series that so far has hardly ever disappointed me. I feel like this one allows us to have a little more breathing room, as we have Keriya recovering from her clash with Necrovar and the aftermath. I definitely appreciated the author shedding even more light on how traumatized Keriya’s become from all of this. She went from being an outcast in a small village to a war hero who has lost so much, which obviously really affected her. She even thinks she lost Fletcher, Roxanne and the rest, though that is later (luckily) proven to not be the case. Honestly, that wasn’t a big twist for me, I never taught them to be dead.

Still, it was nice to have a break from their POVs to properly explore Keriya’s inner thoughts, as well as those of Viran, her new mentor and later friend. It took me a while to warm up to the latter, but I started to care more for him by the mid-point of the book. He’s still not grown quite as much on me as Fletcher and Roxanne, but they also took their time for me to connect with.

I did unfortunately find this book a bit less engaging than the last two, at least the first third or so. While it’s interesting to be in this completely new culture and land on the other side of the world, I didn’t much enjoy this new sexist society a lot. There’s already quite a bit of sexism going on in Allentria itself, with there being no female soldiers that I could tell, but it’s far, far worse in this kingdom. I guess it’s supposed to be a positive that at least this time it’s addressed and the author does something with it, but I still wasn’t a fan and it felt a bit unnecessary since they later proceeded to ignore the sexism in favor of having Keriya train anyways after she proved herself. I’m just not a big fan of it, especially since misogyny in fantasy books already is so very prevalent. 

I also just didn’t connect well with this kingdom. It wasn’t an appealing location, I didn’t care for most of the characters that inhabited it, etc. The only real connection I felt to the story at this point was Keriya and her arc and of course learning more about magic in this world, but other than that my attention span kind of started to falter here. It was then followed by a trip across the sea (which also didn’t much appeal to me) until we finally got back to the empire we all care about, which is now being ruled by Necrovar. It’s just very devastating to see that this place we spend so much time in is now basically overrun with demons and evil soldiers. Ah, well, at least we get a (mostly) happy reunion between our beloved mains. Pretty heartwarming stuff.

The journey to find a magic source to summon the dragons was much, much more interesting than the first part of the book if you ask me. I simply loved seeing Keriya and her friends work as a unit again, which has been quite a while at this point. We get some very interesting revelations, and the Bogspectre (yes, he is still my favorite character) ends up playing a rather big role.

The climax is this time maybe not as memorable, but still a really good one. Move aside demons, the dragons are here. We get once more a very exciting revelation regarding one of our major characters as the final sentence of the epilogue. Can I just say: called it? Yes? No? I’m going to do it anyways. Called it.

Overall, I still definitely recommend picking up Dragon Blood. The first third may be a bit harder to get through, at least for me, but the payback in the last half is absolutely worth it. Mugdan continues to improve her writing and I absolutely can’t wait for the next book to come out!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment