Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Book Review: Eyrie by K. Vale Nagle (Gryphon Insurrection #1)


Eyrie (Gryphon Insurrection): Amazon.co.uk: K. Vale Nagle ...

I really wanted to enjoy this book a lot. I've never read a fantasy story with griffins (one of my favorite fantasy creatures. Also yes I'm spelling it as griffin because that's how I've been taught.) as main focus before, so when I saw that this was a thing that exists I just had to get the book.


Unfortunately, I really couldn't get into it at all. There are many, and by that I mean many characters that are introduced really quickly and a lot of them (too many) get POV-chapters, which made it incredibly hard to focus and attach myself onto one character before suddenly we switched to another character's POV. There's also no list of characters and what they look like in the book, which made it rather hard. Most of the characters' appearances are described only once or twice (with a few exceptions), and with so many characters and POV to follow that are so quickly introduced after one another it makes it very hard to remember who looks like what. If you have a book with many characters, especially when a lot of them get POV time, I really recommend adding some kind of character list just to keep us up to date with everyone, their allegiances, what they look like (possibly).

Something that also kinda bothers me (though this is probably a personal pet peeve and doesn't really have anything to do with the story itself) is that the griffins in this actually have four lion's legs and opinici are the ones with bird front legs, which is kinda the opposite of the mythology, where opinici have four lion legs and griffins have the bird front paws. I really, really do not mind if people get creative with fantasy/mythological creatures, especially in fantasy books, but this is one of the main distinctions between griffin and opinicus, so it just felt kinda odd to see it switched up like this without seemingly any reason. I do really like the addition of many types of birds to have their anatomy represented in the griffins/opinici, and not just eagles, though!

What I will praise is the world building. I like the griffin/opinicus societies, their lore, society, etc. Those were nice. I also like the inclusion of kakapos. I don't think I've ever seen those described in fantasy or even fiction, so that was nice.

But aside from that I just could not get into this book and even nearly DNF-ed it at one point, which really surprised me because by all means this should be a book I love. I love fantasy, I love animal/creature-POV books, I love unique world building, I love war stories, etc. But for whatever reason I just couldn't connect to Eyrie. I don't think I'll be checking out the next Gryphon Insurrection books due to how hard of a time I had with this one, unfortunately.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment