Saturday, April 11, 2020

Book Review: Dragon Speaker by Elana A. Mugdan (Shadow War Saga #1)

bol.com | Dragon Speaker, Mugdan Elana A. | 9781532387937 | Boeken

I just can’t get enough of high fantasy, can’t I? I used to only read the bare bones basic books of this series such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and the like, but I’ve lately been discovering more and more good ones that aren’t quite as famous and definitely deserve a look!

Enter Dragon Speaker by Elana A. Mugdan. This author was kind enough to, during this whole corona craze, make the three books of the Shadow War Saga, of which Speaker is the first, free on Kindle. I’ve been meaning to read these books for a while after following the author on Twitter and seeing them recommended by various people, so what better opportunity is there? Let’s have a look at Dragon Speaker, shall we? Spoilers ahead.


This epic tale follows Keriya Nameless, a girl born without magic in a world where having any form of it is commonplace. After being shunned for this by her homeland her whole existence and experiencing a life-changing event with the dragon goddess Shivnath, Keriya and two of her friends set out on a quest, leaving their homeland behind, in order to save the world and bring down the evil supernatural war-lord Necrovar with the aid of a dragon.

For what I want from my standard fantasy story, this hit pretty much all the beats, honestly! Magical creatures, magic itself, gods and demons, saving the world, politics, lords and princesses, it’s all there! How’s the execution? For the most part, really solid! I could just get absolutely lost in Allentria, no question about it. Not everything is quite touched upon in this book yet, but holy crap am I excited to read more about this world.

One thing I especially liked was the gods and demons being active factors in the story. Usually in the fantasies I read they’ll be brought up, but do little to nothing. Here, though, Shivnath, Necrovar and the other beings all play important roles. It can be a bit tedious to sit through Shivnath being cryptic and refusing to answer questions a lot of the time, but it’s also part of the charm of having a goddess that is still bound by some form of laws. I am curious to see what caused her to make an exception for bringing back Keriya of all people, and giving her powers.

The main characters aren’t the very best, I’ll be honest about that. Do I actively dislike any one of them? No, absolutely not! I think they’re fine, I just wish I got a little more out of them. I didn’t feel any particular strong connection with any character unless you maybe count the Bogspectre. I don’t know what it is about it, but I really enjoyed reading about that creature. Just something about it was oddly charming in a way. Thorion is also pretty good, but other than them I do not have a very strong “bond” with any of the characters, including our lead, quite yet. However, this may of course change over the next two books! Keriya is by no means a bad character, I just didn’t get a whole lot new out of her. But I do want to follow her and see where she goes next.

The pacing was fast and the writing was really easy to get into, so that was definitely a plus. I had a great time just reading this one in just two sittings of a few hours.

The magic system is also quite good. It start out simple and element-based, yet there’s more nuance to it that is later given, with explanations of things such as “magicthreads” and so forth. I definitely look forward to seeing this expanded upon in future books as well.

What I loved the most about this book, though, was the climax. I didn’t particularly want to put the book down before it, either, but when I got to the highest point of the story, I was hooked and wouldn’t stop reading until I’d finished it. I don’t often get gripped this much by a climax, which is definitely a plus.

I wouldn’t say Dragon Speaker is flawless or anything, but it definitely has the makings of the start of a great and memorable series of books. While it isn't perfect, the excitement I felt when reading this (especially the climax), the impact it left and how much I enjoyed reading it warrant it five stars. Looking forward to Dragon Child!

Rating: 5/5

Please note: The books being free does not affect my judgement for the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment