Monday, April 6, 2020

Book Review: Eldest by Christopher Paolini (Inheritance Cycle #2)

Amazon.com: Eldest (Inheritance Cycle, Book 2) (The Inheritance ...

Here we’re taking a look at the second book in the Inheritance Cycle. I already gave Eragon a positive review after re-reading it after years of mocking it. I never actually got to this book, Eldest, after I first read Eragon, so I’m going in blindly with this one. Will it be as good as Eragon? Worse? Let’s see. Spoilers ahead, this is Eldest.


In this second installment of the series, Eragon travels from the Varden to the land of the Elves to train under a secret rider named Oromis. There, he learns more about what it means to be a rider and how to be the best he can be.

I really enjoyed this book, even more so than Eragon. The writing seems to have been improved on. While I enjoyed the first book, it still felt dragging and overly descriptive in places, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

The world building that was started in the series' starter is further elaborated on and becomes more nuanced here. We learn a great deal more about aspects like Elven culture, magic, the old language, ceremonies and more. I was honestly sad to see Eragon leave Ellesméra to partake in the climax battle, as I felt like there were still many secrets over there to explore. But I definitely think we'll go back there, or at least learn more about cultures and the like elsewhere.

I actually liked the characters here more than in the first. Don't get me wrong, I definitely liked some of them in Eragon, but they felt a bit less deep and interesting there. In Eldest, they're further flashed out. I'm starting to really enjoy Eragon and Saphira as leads, and also developed a fondness for the characters of Orik and Angela. Oromis was an interesting character, too. I'm still not too keen on Arya, but maybe the future books will change that.

Something that did actually annoy me is that spoiler, the book makes a big deal out of Eragon suffering because of the scar Durza gave him, only for the plot point to completely solve itself without much trouble when Eragon's body adjusts and heals itself as he gets more Elfish features.

There's plenty of plot twists in this one. Some of them I wasn't too big on, such as Eragon blessing a child in the first book going wrong and having interesting results, but others I genuinely was really intrigued by, such as Oromis' and Glaedr's existence. I could also really call it after the fourth dragon appeared, Murtagh would be its rider, after being really unceremoniously "killed" early on in the book. I'm also not sure how to feel about Eragon and Murtagh being related, Murtagh now being evil and Morzan having been their father.

As for other points, I was glad to see Nasuada and Roran return and even get their own POV's, though I definitely couldn't get into Roran's part of the tale as much as the others. I grew bored reading his parts at times, but luckily they weren't too long and Eragon's story still remains the main focus. Also, seeing Eragon and Roran meet up again felt really bittersweet.

Overall I had a great time reading Eldest and definitely am looking forward to checking out the third installment in this series. 

Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment