Monday, April 6, 2020

Book Review: Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (Inheritance Cycle #4)


Amazon.com: Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle) (9780375846311 ...

Ah, Inheritance. The final book of the series with the same name. At least, until a fifth book was announced. You probably know my opinion on the other three installments in this series if you’ve been following my reviews of them, so I won’t bother talking about them here. Let’s see how this book fares! This is Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. Spoilers ahead.


In this book, the main conflict with Galbatorix takes central stage. Eragon, Saphira, the Varden and the others are all preparing for the final conflict with the evil monarch and his black dragon. Will AlagaĆ«sia be saved once and for all?

I’m going to be honest here: if this is where the series ended… I wouldn’t mind, in the slightest. It’s a really solid conclusion to the series, and probably my second favorite book in the Cycle after Eldest.

What can I say? A good story with proper buildup and a thrilling climax. I definitely did not expect it to end in the way it did. I mean, I knew Galbatorix was eventually going to die (come on, he had to), but I definitely did not expect it to go in this way. And for Arya to be the slayer of Shruikan, I didn’t see that coming at all, either. I was really glad to see what happened during and after the battle, even if there were some painful losses.

Nasuada becoming queen is something I am 100% behind. She was a perfect pick for the job. The revelation that there were more dragon eggs at first seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me, but, honestly, it ultimately makes for a better and more upbeat ending if you ask me, even if it is a bittersweet one.

I was also glad to see that Arya and Eragon didn’t end up together. I really expected them to be just another bland couple by the end of this book, but they don’t even share a kiss or anything. It’s honestly better this way. I don’t think they’d ultimately work well together romantically in the end.

The characters are still good, too. Eragon and Saphira have truly matured in this book as they take the lead in the battle against Galbatorix’s forces. Of course Roran and Nasuada are still there, and they still make for great POV characters who I really enjoyed. I did expect Murtagh to eventually turn good again, and it happened, which I think was great to see. Of course Arya is still there, and, while she still isn’t my favorite, she’s still a good enough character if you ask me. Then of course there’s a side cast of a whole lot more, most of which I liked, safe for Elva and Orrin still. Galbatorix ultimately ended up not being a very interesting villain, but I will give him that he did his job as Big Bad well and was an effective one.

The pacing was just pretty much perfect. It had such an amazing buildup to the final battle, I love it.

The fact that Eragon and Saphira ultimately ended up leaving AlagaĆ«sia was sad, but I definitely think it makes sense. It’s a good and bittersweet yet hopeful ending to the book.

What else can I say? Inheritance is an awesome book in this series. I definitely recommend you pick it up, even if Brisingr wasn’t that good. It's a pretty satisfying conclusion to the series, if it were to be one.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment