Sunday, April 19, 2020

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass #1)



Throne of Glass (Literature) - TV Tropes

I’ve heard varying things on the books of author Sarah J. Maas, having been recommended her Court of Thorns and Roses series, yet also having been told that Throne of Glass is apparently quite bad. I got this book for pretty much free in a trade with a friend, so I decided to give my thoughts on it here. Spoilers below.


Meet Celaena Sardothien, the world’s greatest assassin. After serving years of slavery as punishment of her past kills, she is offered an opportunity out: If she were to become the champion of the kingdom’s prince, named Dorian, and participate in a game of battles against various other skilled folk, she’ll have to serve him for four more years before being granted her freedom. She jumps on this opportunity, only for her to find out that participant after participant is mysteriously found dead, and she might just be next.

I’m kind of mixed on this book, honestly?

I’ll get the good things out of the way first: the author’s writing voice was very easy to get into. I had no trouble getting invested in the story or having to adjust to Maas’ style of writing, which I usually have when reading a new series. I also quite enjoyed some of the characters, the world building (which was kind of standard, but still okay) and the idea of the tournament arc.

However, there’s several things that make this book fall kind of flat as well. First of all Celaena is not an interesting character. She’s kind of bordering on Mary Sue if you ask me, if she isn’t one already. She’s continuously described as beautiful by a lot of the cast despite having some horrid scars from her time as a slave at Endovier and even being coated in dust and earth when some of the characters meet her. She’s also said to be the world’s greatest assassin, yet there isn’t a lot of specifics dedicated to what exactly makes her so skilled and sets her apart from others. She does some things, sure, but I don’t see what really distinguishes her from the other participants in this.

Most of the other characters are also just kind of there. Nehemia was definitely my favorite character out of the entire bunch, but I really couldn’t be brought to care about many others in this story. We’re obviously supposed to root for Celaena, but since she’s such an OP character I really don’t care much for her. Dorian I found quite insufferable at times, Chaol was nice but nothing more. There’s definitely a whole bunch more, but I honestly can’t even recall most of them, which probably means that they’re just too bland and didn’t stand out.

The love triangle was… there, of course. You know me, I hate the triangles. I liked her chemistry with Chaol okay, I suppose, but not enough for me to buy this ship in the slightest. The one between her and Dorian I really disliked, and there’s also a power imbalance between those two, so that’s a nono for me.

I also wasn’t that invested in the climax, which is obviously a problem. I also never doubted that she was going to win the games, so that isn’t exactly what you want in your tournament arc book.
I guess that this one both has quite a few positives and negatives. I don’t hate it like I’ve seen quite a few people do, but it’s not one of my favorites, either. I guess it’s just sort of in between? I may check out the sequel books, may not, who knows.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment